XP Storage
1758351 Members
2664 Online
108868 Solutions
New Discussion

xp8 failed to delete high availability host group and lun path with error "The one and onl

SOLVED
Go to solution
gli
Occasional Advisor

xp8 failed to delete high availability host group and lun path with error "The one and onl

Hi, there. 

we use HA in xp8 storage. there is a retired host, I need to remove the host group and delete the lun pair to reclaim space. Here is the error when deleting the host group. What is the proper steps to do HA lun removal?Task Failed
The one and only normal path for the volume used by Continuous Access Synchronous, Continuous Access Journal, Business Copy, Auto LUN, Fast Snap, or High Availability Cannot be removed.

Many thanks,

Glee

11 REPLIES 11
Mahesh202
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: xp8 failed to delete high availability host group and lun path with error "The on

Hi gli

The error message you received suggests that you cannot remove the host group because the volume is being used by some critical functionality like Continuous Access Synchronous, Continuous Access Journal, Business Copy, Auto LUN, Fast Snap, or High Availability.

To properly remove a HA LUN, you need to follow the steps below:

1. Stop any applications that are accessing the LUN to be deleted.
  2. If the LUN is part of a storage group, remove it from the group.
  3. If the LUN is being used for replication, break the replication relationship and delete the associated replication pairs.
  4. Delete the LUN pair, which will delete the remote copy of the LUN.
  5. Delete the LUN from the storage array.

However, before deleting the LUN, you should verify that it is not being used by any critical applications or services. If the LUN is being used, removing it could result in data loss or application downtime.

If you are unable to remove the host group and delete the LUN pair, it may be necessary to contact HPE support for assistance. They can help you troubleshoot the issue and ensure that you are following the correct steps for removing a HA LUN.

Hope this helps.!! 

Regards
Mahesh.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

gli
Occasional Advisor

Re: xp8 failed to delete high availability host group and lun path with error "The on

Hi, Mahesh. 

I used RWC to delete lun path to the host group, same error, THe host was shutdown, no i/o to the lun. I am suppose to reclaim space. The lun is High Availability, so I "delete the pair" in the replication (remote replication) of primary array, and then "delete lun path to hous group" from primary, repeat in the secondary. Correct? 

Thanks,

gli

gli
Occasional Advisor

"If the LUN is being used for replication, break the replication relationship and delete the associated replication pairs." there are 2 steps here, split pair and delete pair. Can you elaborate in the RWC panel? Thanks a lot. 

Mahesh202
HPE Pro

Hi gli

Sure, I can explain how to perform the split and delete pair operations using the Remote Web Console (RWC) on HPE XP Storage.

To split a replication pair using RWC, follow these steps:

1. Log in to the RWC and navigate to the "Replication" tab.
2. Select the replication group that contains the pair you want to split.
3. In the "Replication Pairs" section, locate the pair you want to split and select it.
4. Click the "Split" button to initiate the split operation. This will disconnect the remote copy from the primary LUN and allow it to be managed independently.

To delete a replication pair using RWC, follow these steps:

1. Log in to the RWC and navigate to the "Replication" tab.
2. Select the replication group that contains the pair you want to delete.
3. In the "Replication Pairs" section, locate the pair you want to delete and select it.
4. Click the "Delete" button to initiate the deletion operation. This will permanently remove the remote copy of the LUN and any associated data.

It is important to note that deleting a replication pair will permanently delete the remote copy of the LUN and any data stored on it. Therefore, it is essential to ensure that you have a backup or copy of the data before proceeding with the deletion. Also, be sure to follow the correct sequence of steps to avoid any data loss or service disruptions. If you have any doubts or questions about this process, I would suggest you to seek assistance from HPE XP Tech support.

Hope this helps.!!

Regards
Mahesh

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

gli
Occasional Advisor

"Select the replication group that contains the pair you want to delete" Here is what i see in RWC:  "Replication" tab --> select "remote replicaiton" --> select "HA" --> display the LDEV in the view. --> select "the LDEV" to be reclaimed --> "suspend pair" --> in the "more action", select "delete pair". Correct?

Mahesh202
HPE Pro

Hi gli

Yes, you are correct. In RWC, to delete a replication pair, you can follow the steps you outlined:

1. Go to the "Replication" tab in RWC.
2. Select "Remote Replication."
3. Select "HA" to view the LUNs involved in HA pairs.
4. Locate and select the LUN that you want to reclaim.
5. Suspend the replication pair associated with the LUN.
6. Click "More Actions" and select "Delete Pair" to delete the replication pair.

It is important to note that when you delete the replication pair, the remote copy of the LUN will be permanently deleted, and any data stored on it will be lost. Therefore, it is important to ensure that you have a backup or copy of the data before proceeding with the deletion.

Once the replication pair has been deleted on both the primary and secondary arrays, you can proceed with removing the LUN from the host group and deleting the host group, as outlined in my previous response.

Hope this helps.!!

Regards
Mahesh

I work for HPE.

Accept or Kudo

gli
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Mahesh! Does "delete pair" include the "suspend pair" action? what is the difference?

can "delete pair" succeed without "suspend pair" first?

Mahesh202
HPE Pro

Hi gli 

In RWC, the "Suspend Pair" action is used to temporarily stop replication between the primary and secondary storage systems. This is typically done before performing maintenance activities or when removing a replication pair.

On the other hand, the "Delete Pair" action is used to permanently remove the replication pair and the associated remote copy of the LUN from the secondary storage system. This action should only be taken after you have confirmed that the data on the remote LUN is no longer needed.

In most cases, it is recommended to suspend the replication pair before deleting it, to ensure that any data still in the replication pipeline is safely replicated to the remote storage system before the pair is deleted. However, some storage systems may allow you to skip the suspension step, depending on the specific implementation and configuration.

Regards
Mahesh.

I work for HPE.

Accept or Kudo

gli
Occasional Advisor

Technically to delete host group is depending to delete all lun path; and to delete lun path is depending on to susped pair, which means the delete pair is not the pre-requisite. Correct?