Operating System - VMware
1758339 Members
2320 Online
108868 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Online HDD/SSD Flash Component for VMware ESXi - MM1000JEFRB and MM2000JEFRC Drives

SOLVED
Go to solution
peterbatah
Advisor

Online HDD/SSD Flash Component for VMware ESXi - MM1000JEFRB and MM2000JEFRC Drives

Hello and thank you for taking my inquiry. As per the HP Customer Advisory I plan on flashing the firmware of my 2 x MM2000JEFRC Drives. They currently have firmware versions HPD4 / HPD6

The installation instructions state:

Offline (The SPP Offline mode boots a special Linux OS environment, thus the Linux Smart Components are used, not the VMware Smart Components

I was unable to locate the /packages folder on my SPP USB key. However, in searching the USB key I did find a subdirectory /hp/swpackages.

I have two questions:

- Is this where I should place the relevant firmware files named (CP053416.compsig and CP053416.zip)?

- Should the zip file named (CP053416.zip) be extracted to the /hp/swpackages folder that I mention above or will the firmware flash process take care of that?

Software Details 

USB Key - Directory Tree 

Swpackages Sub Folder 

Flash Component 

Current Firmware Versions 

2 REPLIES 2
Sebasbin
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Online HDD/SSD Flash Component for VMware ESXi - MM1000JEFRB and MM2000JEFRC Drives

Hi,

To update the hard drives firmware, you can perform the Offline SPP update 

Steps:-

>Download the SPP 
>mount the SPP image via ILO virtual media
>reboot the server and press F11 during boot
>Select ILO virtual media to boot from the SPP image 
>Once it is booted from SPP image ,select interactive update to update the HDD firmware  (follow the onscreen instructions and select the HDD firmware to update )

Or ,you can update the HDD firmware from the operating system 

->if the OS is Vmware esxi ,download the firmware components from below link and refer installation instructions tab for the steps

Online HDD/SSD Flash Component for VMware ESXi - MM1000JEFRB and MM2000JEFRC Drives
https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/softwaredetails?language=en_US&softwareId=MTX_1e4322f17fa04744aa0f4e4d2b&tab=Installation+Instructions

Steps:-
To update firmware from VMware ESXi 7.x operating system on target server:

Enable Tech Support Mode on the ESXi host.
Login as root. (You must be root in order to apply the update.)
Place the Smart Component zip file in a temporary directory.
Unzip the file CPxxxxxx.zip
Ensure that CPxxxxxx.vmexe (ESXi 6.7 & Prior Versions)  and CPxxxxxx.vmexe64 (ESXi 7.0) is executable by using the command:
             chmod +x CPxxxxxx.vmexe    (or)    chmod +x CPxxxxxx.vmexe64

From the same directory, execute the Smart Component. For example: ./CPxxxxxx.vmexe  (or)  ./CPxxxxxx.vmexe64
Follow the directions given by the Smart Component.
Logout
Disable Tech Support Mode on the ESXi host.

Additional information to execute VIB file.

Commands required to execute VIB file on ESXi 7.0/8.0

Installing vib file : esxcli software component apply  –d <full path>CPxxxxxx_VMw.zip  or esxcli software component apply --no-sig-check –d <full path>CPxxxxxx_VMw.zip (if vib file is unsigned)
Executing the binary from path &ldquoopt/Smart_Component/CPxxxxxx” : ./ Execute_Component with command set options -s, -f, -e, -g etc. if required.
Removing vib file : esxcli software component remove –n Smart-Component-CPxxxxxx
After removing the vib, we need to manually remove the folders using : rm –rf /opt/Smart_Component/CPxxxxxx
full path is the temporary directory path where zip file was unpacked CPxxxxxx.zip

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

peterbatah
Advisor

@Sebasbin Thank you so much for your valuable input. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. My main concern was where to place the firmware update files. Obviously, you were so kind as to clear that up for me. Now all I have to do is to decide on which update method to use.