HPE Synergy
1758351 Members
1982 Online
108868 Solutions
New Discussion

Synergy 480 Gen 11 + OneView 8.6 - Unmanged (communication error)

SOLVED
Go to solution
ConstantinH
Occasional Contributor

Synergy 480 Gen 11 + OneView 8.6 - Unmanged (communication error)

Hey team, 

With a client, we are facing a problem where 1 of 3 SY480 Gen11 servers is in a Unmanaged (Communication error). No problems with the other 2.

We can reboot, shutdown and to other quick actions but impossible for us to apply a profile. 

6 REPLIES 6
thutchings
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Synergy 480 Gen 11 + OneView 8.6 - Unmanged (communication error)

Hello,

There are a few different things that can cause this behavior on an SY480 Gen11, but if it is a smaller subset of a number of servers, then the problem is likely what is described in the following advisory:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=a00135061en_us

I would recommend navigating to the section of the iLO indicated in the advisory and clearing the information out.

Regards

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
ConstantinH
Occasional Contributor

OMG you saved our day. Thank you !!

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @ConstantinH,

That's awesome! 

We are extremely glad to know your concern has been addressed. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
ConstantinH
Occasional Contributor

We still have a question that is unclear for us: 
On the 3 servers we got, they all arrived with version iLO6 fw 1.45. Why was it possible for us to connect correctly on 2 of them and install a profile with the new iLO6 fw 1.55 without any problem ?

Why did the last iLO (fw 1.45) had this weird issue ? Is it "random" or is there an explanation ?

PS: All problems solved, we just want to understand where it comes from. 

Thanks a lot
Constantin 

thutchings
HPE Pro

Hello,

This problem is present on a small percentage of Gen11 servers shipped and this is not necessarily specific to a certain "batch" of servers.

This problem with the values in the alertmail fields will generally not cause issues in most cases, but this causes a problem when trying to bring them into OV. Oneview does not actually use anything specific to the alertmail function, but it performs a redfish GET operation against "/redfish/v1/Managers/1/NetworkProtocol" in order to get certain information from this section. The invalid characters causes OV to throw the error as it cannot understand the information provided in the alertmail fields.

This problem is addressed by upgrading to firmware 1.53. Obviously, the advisory has the workaround of just clearing the information out. Also, a factory reset of the iLO will clear the information out.

Regards

I am an HPE Employee.
Accept or Kudo
ConstantinH
Occasional Contributor

Hey @thutchings 

Thank you for your reply. 

We tried a lot of things before posting here and factory resetting the iLO was one of them. I didn't fixed the issue (before we knew what the issue was).

Removing the characters from the form was the only way for us to make the server available in OV. 

Regards
Constantin