108866 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 3PAR 8200 - 4 of 12 new 3.84TB disks not admitted

SOLVED
Go to solution
jddh
Regular Visitor

3PAR 8200 - 4 of 12 new 3.84TB disks not admitted

Looking for suggestions on what to try to get these disks admitted, 4 of 12 can't be DOA!
Next item I'd try is reseating one of the disks and take it from there.

3PAR 8200 2-node running 3.3.1 (MU5) P177
3 cages, mix of FC and SSD
 - added 12 new HPE 3.84TB disks one per cage starting at cage0
 - 4 of the disks were not admitted, log entries for the disks in question:
"Disk 5002538B49411021 Degraded (Invalid {0xa2}, Read Capacity Failed {0xa5})"
"PD WWN 5002538B49411021 failure: reading capacity failed Internal reason: Opcode = SCCMD_DOCDB Node = 0 Tpd error code = TE_FAIL -- Generic failure code Tpd error info = Scsi failure code 0x1 , This disk will not be admitted into the system."

Afterwards ran an admithw and it returns:
"The following disks are not valid after attempting to admit them:" (lists the disks)

Attached are logs from one of the admitted disks (WWN 5002538B4980B031) and one of the not admitted disks (WWN 5002538B4952C801)

2024-03-01 3Par 8200 image1.png

admithwadmithwlogs for admitted disklogs for admitted disklogs for not admitted disklogs for not admitted disk

thanks!

[Moderator edit: Erased the confidential info.]

4 REPLIES 4
Satish04
HPE Pro

Hi jddh,

In some cases, reseating the disks can resolve connectivity issues. Make sure the disks are securely connected and seated in their respective slots.
Make sure the new disks are compatible with your 3PAR 8200 storage system. Confirm compatibility with HPE by referring to the compatibility matrix.
Make sure that the disks are in good health condition.
The firmware on your 3PAR storage system and the firmware on the new disks must be up-to-date. In some cases, firmware mismatches can cause compatibility problems.

After reseating the new drives, please run the command "admitpd" and check the status of the drive status after some time.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Satish

I work for HPE.
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.

Accept or Kudo

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @jddh,

Let us know if you were able to resolve the issue.

If you have no further query and you are satisfied with the answer then kindly mark the topic as Solved so that it is helpful for all community members.

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
jddh
Regular Visitor
Solution

it appears the 4 disks in question were from an 'unknown' batch, and may have previously been confirmed to be not usable, closing issue.

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @jddh,

We are glad to know you were able to figure it out and thank you for keeping us informed. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo