Recovery Manager Central
1757743 Members
2368 Online
108863 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Added Volume sets - error says "Ensure that the volumes have snapshot space alloc

SOLVED
Go to solution
CorbettEnders
Advisor

Added Volume sets - error says "Ensure that the volumes have snapshot space allocated "

"Ensure that the volumes have snapshot space allocated in Storage Device". 

Actions menu only has delete instead of the expected Add protection, protect now, etc.

Clearly I'm missing something on the 3PAR side.  I do not have any replication, snapshotting, etc, enabled in 3PAR. 

Can someone point me in the right direction?  Hopefully, my questions will help someone else in the future as the documentation is quite lacking.

3 REPLIES 3
CorbettEnders
Advisor
Solution

Re: Added Volume sets - error says "Ensure that the volumes have snapshot space alloc

Ok, look at me solving my own problems today.  On the 3PAR I had not defined the Copy CPG on each volume and therefore it couldn't create the snapshots.

sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hello @CorbettEnders,

Thanks again for posting the resolution as well here. Let me add a quick note about the significance of copy CPGs.

If there is a need for creating snapshots, there must be a copy CPG defined in 3PAR. Copy CPG is a must for all snapshot-based activities like RMC backup, remote copy, virtual copy schedule, on-demand snapshots etc.

You can define the same CPG of the volume or any other lower tier drive (FC if not NL) CPGs as copy CPG. If required, you can change the copy CPG anytime. That will not impact the volume.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of HPE.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

CorbettEnders
Advisor

Thank you.  It seems that I also need a "Virtual Copy" license on my 3PAR in order to use RMC (at least for Peer Copy).  Now to locate a trial license.  I also needed a trial license of RMC for my 3PAR....

Hopefully, this is my final hurdle in getting RMC to move data from my 3PAR to my new Nimble.