2832 Online
108871 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: XP7 Secure erase?

tx_mark
Regular Visitor

XP7 Secure erase?

Hi all,

We have an XP7 that we want to repurpose to another line of business. Is there a way to bring it back to factory defaults so it can be reinstalled at a new location? Bonus points if it can be secure erased.

Thanks - Mark

3 REPLIES 3
Vinky_99
Esteemed Contributor

@tx_mark 

Good day!

To repurpose it for a new line of business and ensure data security, you may want to perform a secure erase and restore it to factory defaults. Please note that the specific steps might vary based on the exact model and firmware version of your XP7. Always consult the official documentation or contact HPE support for the most accurate and up-to-date information.

Here are general steps you might follow:

>> Factory Reset:

- Before proceeding, make sure to back up any critical data on the XP7, as the following steps will erase all stored data.
- Log in to the management console or command line interface of the XP7. Refer to the user manual for information on how to access the management interface.

- Navigate to the reset or initialization section in the management interface. There should be an option to perform a factory reset. Follow the prompts to initiate the reset process.

>> Secure Erase:

- Performing a secure erase ensures that the data is not recoverable. Here's a general guide:
- As mentioned earlier, ensure all critical data is backed up.
- Check if your XP7 has a data sanitization or secure erase feature. This may be accessible through the management console or command line interface.

>> Consult the official documentation for your specific XP7 model and firmware version. It should provide detailed instructions on how to perform a secure erase.

>> Physical Destruction- If the above steps are not feasible or if you want the highest level of security, consider physically destroying the drives or storage media.

If you're unsure about any step or if your XP7 model has specific procedures, it's recommended to contact HPE support.

Always exercise caution when performing these actions, as they can result in data breakage. It's crucial to follow the Support instructions and, if needed, seek assistance from HPE support or support channels.

I hope this helps! Let me know... 

These are my opinions so use it at your own risk.
tx_mark
Regular Visitor

Hey @Vinky_99 thanks for the response.

I'm unable to validate any of these steps. Do you have documentation that you can send the link to?

Thanks - Mark

//

Vinky_99
Esteemed Contributor

Hey Mark,

>> I would say Visit the official HPE support website (https://support.hpe.com) and search for your XP7 model. Look for user guides, administrator guides, or any documentation related to factory reset and secure erase procedures.

>> If you can't find the information on the website or if you have specific questions, you can contact HPE support directly. They should be able to provide guidance and documentation tailored to your XP7 model and firmware version.

>> Check the user manuals or documentation that came with your XP7 system. It might include step-by-step instructions for tasks like factory reset and secure erase.

>> When searching for documentation, make sure to include your XP7 model and firmware version to get the most relevant results.

I hope this gives some insights

These are my opinions so use it at your own risk.