1758345 Members
2020 Online
108868 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HC380 - StoreVirtual VSA Datastores inaccessible

STI_CI
Established Member

HC380 - StoreVirtual VSA Datastores inaccessible

I've found a lot of great solutions from these boards over the years. Taking a shot that someone might be able to point me in the right direction now.
We recently retired a 3 node HC380 cluster from production but I have been approved to reuse the hardware in a sandbox environment. The nodes were shut down gracefully and all the mgmt VMs were all left intact.

I have installed the 3 nodes and associated networking using the exact same configuration from production, including the same HPE 5700 fabric switches pulled from production.

The problem is that when I boot Node 2, (where the HC mgmt VMs were last running from) and then power on the SVVSA VM, the datastores will never become available. I can see the VMs in the inventory list, but all of them are greyed out and have inaccessible out to the right. This means no vCenter, no OneView no mgmt UI, nothing other then the SVVSA VM.

what am i missing here? 

5 REPLIES 5
neutral
HPE Pro

Re: HC380 - StoreVirtual VSA Datastores inaccessible

Hello @STI_CI,

A rescan of storage devices is needed when a storage device has been added, removed, or changed from the array. Hope this might solveyour problem.

Best Regards,

Ashik N S

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I am an HPE Employee
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise

Accept or Kudo

STI_CI
Established Member

@neutral Hi Ashik - Thanks for your reply. I did a rescan of all HBAs after powering on the SVVSA VM, but after completion, the datastores were still inaccesible. I thought it might also be a good idea to restart the VMware iSCSI service on the Node, after the VSA VM was powered on, then another Storage Rescan, but this also does not make the datastores available. 

neutral
HPE Pro

Hello @STI_CI,

If the rescan doesn't help then I would suggest you to raise your query with the HPE Support Team for detailed analysis and resolution,

Thanks & Regards,

Ashik N S

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I am an HPE Employee
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise

Accept or Kudo

STI_CI
Established Member

@neutral

I appreciate the suggestion, however, that will not be possible. Once it was decided that the equipment would be decommissioned from production, the support services agreement was not renewed. Given the fact the HC380 cluster would only be used to support education and testing, the company will not provide funds to renew HPE support agreement. If I canтАЩt get the cluster running, weтАЩll just have to wipe and use them as stand-alone ESXi hosts.

Vinky_99
Esteemed Contributor

@STI_CI 

Good day!

Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem:

>> Ensure that the networking configuration, including VLAN settings, is identical to the production environment. Any discrepancies in network settings can cause communication issues.

>> Verify that the physical network connections are correctly established and that the network ports and switches are functioning as expected.

>> Check if the storage devices (e.g., SAN or NAS) used by the HC380 are properly connected and accessible. Ensure that the storage is available and properly configured.

>> Confirm that the StoreVirtual VSA VM is connected to the correct virtual network and can access the storage.

>> Review the configuration of the StoreVirtual VSA VM itself. Ensure that it's set up with the correct storage volumes and network settings.

>> Check the StoreVirtual VSA logs for any error messages or issues during startup.

>> If vCenter is reporting datastores as inaccessible, check the vCenter logs and events for any specific error messages related to the datastores or VMs.

>> Make sure that the vCenter server is running properly and has access to the VMs and datastores.

>> Ensure that the HPE OneView appliance and other management components are configured correctly and can communicate with the hardware and VMs.
>> Check the logs and status of the OneView appliance for any errors or issues.

>> Confirm that you are booting up the nodes in the correct order. In a StoreVirtual VSA setup, the order of node boot-up can be important. Typically, you should start the Manager Virtual Machine (MVM) or the first node before starting other nodes.

>> Check the health status of the StoreVirtual VSA storage cluster. If there are any issues with the storage cluster, it can lead to datastores becoming inaccessible.

>> In a StoreVirtual VSA cluster, datastores may become inaccessible if there are issues with data ownership or the cluster quorum. Review the cluster configuration to ensure proper quorum settings.

>> If you have backups of the HC380 configuration and data, consider restoring from a known-good backup to ensure that the environment is in a known state.

These are my opinions so use it at your own risk.