Re: Hpe Storeonce security License + HPE MSL MSL6480 encryption license

ledvan
Frequent Advisor

Hpe Storeonce security License + HPE MSL MSL6480 encryption license

Hi Guys,

could any one tell me what is the part-number for :

1.Hpe Storeonce 5000 security License 

2.HPE MSL MSL6480 encryption license

is there any document out there about these licenses?

regards,

LB.

7 REPLIES 7
yilmazaydin
Valued Contributor

Hi @ledvan 

About Hpe Storeonce 5000 security License - This is  HPE StoreOnce Security Pack 

Model / license for HPE StoreOnce 49/5500

Security Pack License/E-LTU  BB907A/BB907AAE

https://www.hpe.com/psnow/doc/c04328820.html?jumpid=in_lit-psnow-red&ver=17 -> Section Software and Software Options -> HPE StoreOnce Security Package

The user's guide has sections that describe the use of encryption in StoreOnce - https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00043535en_us&page=b6000_getting_started.html.

About HPE MSL MSL6480 encryption license   - this is HPE StoreEver MSL6480 ESKM Encryption E-LTU. You can use user guide again for more information  - https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c05155072#N109CB

YA.

ledvan
Frequent Advisor

@yilmazaydin 

our storeonce is 5600, does it still use the 5500 license?

regards,

LB.

yilmazaydin
Valued Contributor

@ledvan I probably couldn't recognize the terminology in your question correctly.
No, StoreOnce Gen4 and Gen4+ use HPE StoreOnce encryption BB994A/AAE.

YA.

ledvan
Frequent Advisor

@yilmazaydin thank you

ledvan
Frequent Advisor

i got few more question:

1.if we are using storeonce encryption at source, when we replicate backup, would it replicate the encrypted backup or it would decrypt it then sends the backup?does the destination needs a security license to receive encrypted backup and utilize it?

2. when we copy the backup to MSL libraries, the encrypted backup are sent or it would be decrypted first then sent and stored on Tape libraries?

regards,

LB,

chip_73
HPE Pro

To answer both questions: The store encryption on StoreOnce encrypts the data before being written to the physical disk - it is data at rest encryption. During the replication to a different StoreOnce or to a tape library, the data is decrypted first then it is sent over the network. If you need data to also be encrypted at destination you will need a security license for the destination StoreOnce system.

If needed, data in flight encryption can also be enabled using IPSEC, as detailed on the StoreOnce user guides that are available on hpesupport portal.

Chip

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
ledvan
Frequent Advisor

@chip_73 

so if i understood your point correctly , we can not use in-flight encryption if we do not have encryption license at the destination. the defies the whole capability of in-flight encryption license of the source Storeonce ,, is that a fact?

in the storeonce userguide it has mentioned that, catalyst copy, simply copies everything to the destination( i was under the impression that would include encrption as well).

BR,

Ledwan.