StoreOnce Backup Storage
1758351 Members
1960 Online
108868 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: after adding an expansion The volume parity is being initialized - HPE Storeonce 3660

SOLVED
Go to solution
pjguyot33
Occasional Contributor

after adding an expansion The volume parity is being initialized - HPE Storeonce 3660

Hello community,

I added the first expansion (JBOD1) to a HPE StoreOnce 3660

The licence was already installed  

Expansion0
HPE StoreOnce 3660 80TB System
Configured

50.9 TiB  

Expansion1
HPE StoreOnce 3660 96TB Cap Upg Kit
Unconfigured

65.5 TiB

added 2 hours ago and still have this message :

Storage configuration initiated

in the event logs
The volume parity is being initialized. Performance may be somewhat reduced.

Resolution
No further action is required.
Resource Name
volume HPESO_VOL_C6_P1_E1_T2E_V1, pool Pool 600508B1001CFD78FD3A662B0874ACB7, storage cluster Serial-Number_Con_6_Cluster
Timestamp
10/3/2023 11:24 am
Event Code
E0717001006

Is it a normal behavior ? if I remember well, I already add expansions on older models and it was very fast.

Thanks for your help

2 REPLIES 2
neutral
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: after adding an expansion The volume parity is being initialized - HPE Storeonce 3660

Hello @pjguyot33,

When you add expansion (JBOD) to the StoreOnce system, it does take some time. Let the process complete on its own and then you can use the storage.

- During the initial parity initialization process the RAID is protected from single drive failure so I would advise you to let the process finish before actively using the server/controller.
- To speed up the process you can try and leave the controller inactive until the process is finished as well as set the "Surface Scan Analysis Priority" to high temporarily in the controller until the process is complete, and then switch it back to medium where it should have initially been.
- The process does affect performance somewhat and I would advise that you wait for it, before using the controller/server heavily.

Here is a reference video that shows storage configuration:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/videoDisplay?videoId=vtc00030247en_us

Thanks & Regards,

Ashik N S

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I am an HPE Employee
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise

Accept or Kudo

Gans_Tapes
HPE Pro

@pjguyot33  The capacity addition process is different between the G4 systems vs the G4+ systems. The 3660 is a G4+ system and there are no preconfigured volumes/pools with expansion kit. So it is normal for the parity initialization process to initiate as volumes are created only after the hardware is detected by the node.  This is unlike the prior models where the disk packs were shipped with pre-configured volumes and pools.  So please ensure you wait for parity init to complete before continuing with storage configuration.  

Please ensure you follow the capacity expansion process: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=sd00001029en_us&page=GUID-BD492D89-C6C2-4EE9-94CA-428603D8A237.html 

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo