2474 Online
108871 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EX490 Recovery Disc

SOLVED
Go to solution
unsmartserver

Re: EX490 Recovery Disc

please repost the recovery disk. so I can download.

I would appreciate it thanks.

Daverob

I know this an old post now... but I'm having the same problem getting stuck at step 2 of the recovery process while it says it is trying to put the server into recovery mode (which I thought the paper clip trick did anyway)... I am also getting the "unknown Error" message (that's so helpfull).  Anyone figure out how to get past this?? 

After I powercycle and hit the recovery mode botton within 4 seconds with a paperclip, it only flashes purple/red for 12 seconds and then just goes to solid purple.  Maybe It's not really going into recovery mode??  I've spend tons of time on this and I'm not ready to give up yet! Any help would be appreciated.

Also, Tom... Thanks for those discs!!!

TomHayesMP
Frequent Advisor

It's been a while since I've actually done a recovery (knock on wood, but my server has been working fine!) but according to the user manual (you did download that, too, didn't you?) the light should be purple in recovery mode. What are you trying to do? Reload the OS on the server from the PC? Does this step involve replacing the hard drive #1, the one with the OS on it, in the server or just reinstalling the OS? If so, you have to format the HD. I believe the process goes easier if you use a USB to SATA cable to plug the replacement HD into your computer and format it there. Once the formatting is done on your PC move the drive to the server. The server will format it again, but so what? I haven't had lots of luck just reformatting. I always had to follow the "Restore factory settings" route. I'm using my server to back up four PC's. I do not store anything on the server that isn't already on one of the PC's. that way either device can fail and I will still have the files. I do not need the server unless one of the PC's fail. That's why I simply use the "Restore Factory settings" option. i have nothing to use by just starting over.

ryan13
Occasional Visitor

Will these disks work if I have an Ex485?  If not does anyone have a link to these disks?

Thanks

TomHayesMP
Frequent Advisor

Dear ryan13,

I don't know if the disks i've posted work with the Ex485. I would hope HP has one code base and then checks for the correct model when the software starts up. If your Ex485 is dead now, it can't hurt to try to use the Ex490 software. You won't be any worse off if it does not work.

Tom Hayes

ryan13
Occasional Visitor

I was able to access the drive directly through the network without using the server console.  I can see the folders but none of the information in the folders, which I am assuming is because it is locked because it was a backup.  When I try to use the server console, it gives me an error that it can not connect.  I have tried to restart the server and it doesn't work.  What does not make sense is that I can access the drive directly but I can't connect to it through the server console. 

Below is another error I received, but not sure if it is from my browser or from the server. 

Error Message

It states it cannot connect and asks to restart the server. 

I have done this several times but no luck.  I also received the error below. 

Server Error in '/Upnp' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
        <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    </system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
        <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
    </system.web>
</configuration>

My goal is to just get the retrieve the files from the drive. 

sdruid
Occasional Visitor

I'm having issues reloading or reseting as well.   First of all, I'm not sure if i'm in recovery mode since the lights seem to flash blue and red, not purple and red as indicated in the manual, and I get a failure at step 2 every single time...

Not sure how to get pass this or how long to hold down the paper clip at startup as the lights are flashing red and blue.

In addition I'm not sure which box i have, EX490 or EX495 ?

the lights flash - 1 blue - 6 red..... and I'm thinking these are error codes...

my contact is Personal Info Erased

stevenknack
Occasional Visitor

I just wanted to share that these discs work on the HP Data Vault x310 and are a bit newer than the version that comes with the server.

Lioninstreet
Occasional Visitor

I happened to grab a sealed NOS ex49x as a replacement for my aging ex48x. It came with a 1tb 7200.12 Seagate drive, I installed the VGA/mouse/keyboard and it boots up no worries. So far no personal data has been added.

My problems started by trying to upgrade the primary drive to a RE4 WD1003FBYX (without advance format).  The little 49x won't cooperate with a reset to begin the install of the OS (using the recovery disk). I started by setting my public, private, and domain firewall to disabled and the Lan port at the back has a solid green with a separate blinking amber LED. Ive followed the following steps below to begin the install/recovery process:

1) Start PC (mine is running w7) in safe-mode with networking enabled, 2) Set PC IP address to 169.37.37.40, 3) Connect PC to server with straight-thru network cable bypassing any hubs and switches in line., 4) Start server Recovery software on PC from "Server Recovery" CD. Reboot Server and go into recovery mode. (Use paper clip to press button on front panel of server within 4 seconds or so of powering it up.)

This is where the problem starts. When the blank formated RE drive (with no partitions) is installed, or even with the factory installed Seagate drive installed), the status light never starts blinking aqua and red. It is always blinking blue. On the Seagate drive, I can watch the OS install on my monitor and when done the blinking blue health light then goes solid blue and the drive light also turns on blue.

With the blank formatted RE4 installed, the light blinks blue, the 49x goes thru bios, but the boot stops becuase there is no OS found. The health light remains blinking blue.

Ive tried pressing the reset button with a paper clip just after boot, pulling the primary drive to force the server into recovery and reinstall the drive after 30 seconds, neither do anything. Health light just says blinking blue, on and off.

Am I doing something wrong here? I just cant seem to get the 49x into recovery mode.

Or is there a way to install the OS on my new drive using a terminal install with the hard drive setup by SATA and the DVD running in a DVD drive? That would sure make things easy.

TomHayesMP
Frequent Advisor

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
I'm really not an expert on the Media server, I simply wrote down what tech
support told me about getting it to work and reloading the OS.

Have you tried removing all formatting on the HD by connecting it via a USB -
SATA adapter on your PC? I seem to recall something about cleaning everything
off the HD first.

Also, it would seem to me that going into recovery mode with the paper clip thru
the hole would have nothing to do with what HD or OS is installed on the server.
Going into setup should be a BIOS function on the server. Have you ascertained
that you're really pressing the little switch inside the hole? Try pressing the
switch with the paper clip and THEN turning the power on.

Good luck,
Tom Hayes