Servers - General
1758416 Members
2951 Online
108869 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPE R/T3000 G5 UPS Keeps flicking from utility to battery randomly for short periods

CharlieL
Frequent Visitor

HPE R/T3000 G5 UPS Keeps flicking from utility to battery randomly for short periods

We have two HPE R/T G5 UPS supplies in a single rack each powered individually on commandos.

Recently however, one of the UPS units has started displaying random behaviour where it goes through phases of switching from Utility power to battery, then around 4 seconds later back to Utility. It will repeat this process around 5 or 6 times usually, then remain on mains (utility) for about another hour or two before doing the same again.

The other UPS displays no such symptoms. I've swapped the mains power to determine if it was the power source, but this makes no difference. The UPS in question has no faults or errors in its log. They were purchased and installed in late 2019.

Has anyone else experienced similar behaviour or does anyone have any suggestions?

10 REPLIES 10
david5626
Frequent Visitor

Re: HPE R/T3000 G5 UPS Keeps flicking from utility to battery randomly for short periods

Hello, Check for load imbalances: Ensure that the power load is evenly distributed between the two UPS units. An imbalance could lead to one UPS constantly switching to battery power while the other remains stable. Verify the battery status: Monitor the battery status of the problematic UPS unit. Check if the battery is healthy and properly charged. Faulty or weak batteries can cause erratic behavior and frequent switching. Inspect the input power: Examine the input power quality and stability. Fluctuations or disturbances in the utility power supply can trigger the UPS to switch between sources. Consider using a power quality meter to monitor voltage, frequency, and any anomalies. Update firmware: Check if there are any firmware updates available for the UPS units. Updating the firmware can address known issues and improve stability. Consult manufacturer support: Contact HPE support for assistance. Provide them with detailed information about the issue, including the UPS model, serial number, and any relevant logs. They can provide specific troubleshooting steps and guidance based on your situation.

Vinky_99
Esteemed Contributor

Re: HPE R/T3000 G5 UPS Keeps flicking from utility to battery randomly for short periods

@CharlieL 

Including the above, I would say faulty batteries can cause erratic behavior in a UPS. Check the battery health and perform a battery test to ensure they are functioning properly. Replace any defective batteries if necessary.

Make sure all power connections, including input and output connections, are secure and free from damage. Loose or faulty connections can cause power fluctuations and lead to the UPS switching to battery power intermittently.

Make sure UPS is at the latest version.

See if these stuff helps! Let me know

These are my opinions so use it at your own risk.
CharlieL
Frequent Visitor

Thanks very much for your helpful reply and suggestions.

I have checked all connections to both UPS supplies and all seem good.

I have also swapped over the power sources used on the devices but the device in question still displays the same behaviour. The other one seems entirely happy.

I've check the fault log on both devices which are empty on both (i.e. no reported faults).

I've run a battery test on both devices and both report good status.

I've checked for a G5 firmware update, but the only firmware update available is for a G4. I don't know if these are compatible. The G4 firmware version does look higher than the current version on these G5s.

The loads on the devices are fairly even, although the problematic device has a lower load than the non-problematic unit.

I was thinking of performing a full shutdown of the unit i question to see if its some kind of sensor issue that may need to be reset, but this would need to be done out of hours. Some of the connected equipment only has one power supply linked to this unit.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, then I think we may need to have an approved engineer take a look at the device to perform some diagnostic/preventative maintenance.

Thanks again for your helpful suggestions.

CharlieL
Frequent Visitor

Thanks very much for your helpful reply and suggestions to both contributors.

Vinky_99
Esteemed Contributor

@CharlieL 

Most welcome my friend! As you mentioned, performing a full shutdown of the problematic UPS could help reset any sensors or internal components that might be causing the intermittent switching behavior. Coordinate a maintenance window to safely shut down the UPS and connected equipment. Hope that helps! 

If you still face the same, please get in touch with HPE Support, so they might check and help you in fixing it... 

Good luck 

These are my opinions so use it at your own risk.
Quang1
Occasional Visitor

@CharlieL 

Hi, Did you have any solutions for this problem, My system have meet a problem same as your.

Hope to see your reply, Thanks

crazyHacky
Occasional Visitor

I have the same exact problem!! Is there any solution? Isn this a defect?

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @crazyHacky,

Thank you for writing to us. 

You might want to consider creating a new topic by utilizing the "New Discussion" button, as this will not only enhance visibility compared to the old topic but also boost your chances of receiving responses from experts.

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
jkrakenda
Frequent Visitor

Hello, do you also have HPE Gen10 Servers on that UPS?

I have the exact same problem and can confirm that the problem is caused by the power supplys of HPE Gen10 Servers. All other components (Dell Servers, NetApp Storage) working without any problems on that UPS. As soon as i plug in a HPE Gen10 Server, the problem occures.

I have a ticket open at HP and will let you know as soon as i have an update here. 

I have the newest Firmware on the UPS (2.2.11) but i think it can be the Firmware of the Power Supply in the server, which is currently 1.0.0.