1755186 Members
5701 Online
108830 Solutions
New Discussion

iLO remote Console - Alternate

GetItRight
Advisor

iLO remote Console - Alternate

Wondering if there is a way to access the remote console of a DL-380 G9 server to allow OS install from local USB drive?

I don't want to pay to license remote access. This should be a standard free feature for the server.

Are there othere server brands where this licensing isn't required.

Regards

2 REPLIES 2
betty4920taylor
Occasional Visitor

Re: iLO remote Console - Alternate

Hello, 

Accessing the remote console of an HPE ProLiant DL-380 G9 server typically requires an iLO (Integrated Lights-Out) license, which is not free. The iLO feature allows for a variety of remote management capabilities, including remote console access.

Using a KVM switch or directly connecting a keyboard, monitor, and mouse to manage the server locally.
Third-Party Solutions: There are third-party remote management tools that can provide similar functionalities. However, they may also come with their own costs and compatibility requirements.
Regarding other server brands that offer free remote console access, it’s not common for enterprise-level servers to provide this feature without some form of licensing or subscription due to the advanced nature of the technology. However, some open-source or community-supported solutions might offer remote management features at no additional cost. It’s important to research and ensure that any third-party solution meets your security and functionality requirements before implementation.

For a more comprehensive list of server brands and their remote console access policies, you might want to look into console server solutions from various vendors to see if they offer free remote access capabilities. Keep in mind that while some vendors may offer remote access features, they might still require a purchase of hardware or software to use those features.

If you’re considering switching to a different server brand, it’s advisable to review their licensing policies and the total cost of ownership, including any necessary licenses for remote management features.

I hope this will help you.

Best Regards,

GetItRight
Advisor

Re: iLO remote Console - Alternate

Appreciate the comments.

We have alot of servers. I just feel licensing is getting out of control. We don't use any routers, switches, servers that require licensing to use.

The server itself is advanced technolog, but I don't have to buy a license to use..let's say nvme, or each gb of ram. In fact we're dropping

Microsoft as a hosted option simply for the complexity licensing has become.

We're lucky to have our data center locally.

Very best,

Bret