2746 Online
108868 Solutions
New Discussion

HPE RMC Express Protect Failing With OSCLT_CLTERR_NULL_PARAMETER_EXPECTED

TechEvangelist
Occasional Advisor

HPE RMC Express Protect Failing With OSCLT_CLTERR_NULL_PARAMETER_EXPECTED

Hello Community, 

HPE RMC is failing with OSCLT_CLTERR_NULL_PARAMETER_EXPECTED error. LUN size is 16TB.

2023-07-03 20:23:03 - Performing incremental copy.
2023-07-03 20:23:03 - Securing execution slot and acquiring RMC/StoreOnce data sessions.
2023-07-03 20:23:04 - Resources acquired, volume copy preparation done.
2023-07-03 20:23:06 - Submitted volume copy job to data mover with object count 4 stream count 4
2023-07-03 20:23:07 - OSCLT_CLTERR_NULL_PARAMETER_EXPECTED
2023-07-03 20:23:07 - Datapath validated data transfer request.
2023-07-03 20:23:07 - Backup operation failed.

It does create a RO snapshot inside 3PAR successfully . It fails within 10 seconds once started.  Other Express Protect jobs did complete successfully from same 3PAR storage.

RMC Software version is  6.3.10-2236.1. Destination is StoreOnce 5660 (Firmware 4.3.0-2132.20)  with ample amount of free space inside Catalyst Store.

5 REPLIES 5
Mahesh202
HPE Pro

Re: HPE RMC Express Protect Failing With OSCLT_CLTERR_NULL_PARAMETER_EXPECTED

Hi

The error message "OSCLT_CLTERR_NULL_PARAMETER_EXPECTED" indicates a problem with the HPE Recovery Manager Central (RMC) software during the backup operation. This error suggests that a null parameter was encountered where a non-null parameter was expected, causing the backup process to fail.

Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Ensure that the versions of the RMC software, 3PAR storage, and StoreOnce appliance are compatible with each other. Check the HPE support documentation or contact HPE technical support to confirm compatibility and verify if any specific patches or updates are required for your software versions.
  2. Confirm that there are no connectivity issues between the RMC server, 3PAR storage, and StoreOnce appliance. Ensure that all necessary network configurations, such as routing, firewall settings, and access control, are correctly set up. Verify that the RMC server can communicate with both the 3PAR storage and StoreOnce appliance without any restrictions or interruptions.
  3. Double-check the configuration settings for the 3PAR storage and StoreOnce appliance within the RMC software. Ensure that all required settings, such as credentials, access permissions, and storage mappings, are correctly configured. Confirm that the target LUN size of 16TB is supported by both the 3PAR storage and StoreOnce appliance.

If the issue persists and you are unable to identify the root cause or find a resolution, it is recommended to contact HPE technical support. Provide them with the relevant log files and error details to assist them in troubleshooting the issue more effectively. HPE support can provide specific guidance and assistance based on their knowledge of the RMC software and associated storage systems.

Regards
Mahesh.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

neutral
HPE Pro

Hello @TechEvangelist,

Try using a Backup Policy with multistream count 1, 2, or 4 and then retry.

Here is the RMC Troubleshooting guide, just in case if your in need - https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00112538en_us&page=GUID-4C229BDF-C8E9-49E2-996D-54C4225052B8.html 

Thanks & Regards,

Ashik N S

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I am an HPE Employee
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise

Accept or Kudo

TechEvangelist
Occasional Advisor

Troublshooting guide has a very simple and generic statement to deal with an error. 

16TB LUN volume we express protect has 3 chains of snapshots so that next express protect is not Optimized copy but rather an Incremental copy . We began to preseve those snapshot so that we can transfer incrementally . It worked for few weeks , and then began to fail with an error in consideration. As a workaround, we started a full copy which performs Optimized copy not Incremental copy.

it seems that after certain number of Express Protect snapshots, Incremental Express Protect does not work or fails with an error being discussed.

neutral
HPE Pro

Hello @TechEvangelist,

If multiple Express Protect tasks are issued at the same time, or Express Protect tasks are overlapped, there could be chances of task failure.
Object data that is relevant to a specific Express Protect task might be messed with another Express Protect task Object data. If a single Express Protect is run and not overlapped with another Express Protect task, then there will be a smooth transfer of Express Protect tasks.
The most common situation could be multiple scheduled tasks that are started at the same date/time.

You can try this method. Even if this doesn't help, kindly reach out to HPE Support Team.

Thanks & Regards,

Ashik N S

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I am an HPE Employee
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise

Accept or Kudo

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @TechEvangelist,

Let us know if you were able to resolve the issue.

If you have no further query and you are satisfied with the answer then kindly mark the topic as Solved so that it is helpful for all community members.

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo