3009 Online
108871 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Storage Enclosure Device Failure - fake positive

wassy83
Occasional Advisor

Storage Enclosure Device Failure - fake positive

Dear all,
I have a couple of HP DL360 gen8 servers that are facing the same issue. I'm using both servers with latest debian bookworm and an HP h220 HBA flashed in IT mode with latest firmware 15.10.10.00, Ilo4 version is latest available 2.82 Feb 06 2023. I use this HBA since I want ZFS on all drives and direct access to the storage. Everything works flawless, led's, notification, zfs replace etc but I have this annoying issue inside ILO, all drives on both servers reports this error "Storage Enclosure Device Failure", if I access the ILO interface this is what I see

Screenshot-2024-01-06-143859.png

on OS side I have installed HP-AMS (since the amsd provided in the bookworm repository is for ILO5 not 4), the latest available package seems to be this one for ubuntu hp-ams_2.8.3-3056.1ubuntu16_amd64.deb  but I have tried even an older one for debian stretch that I could install through the stretch repository but nothing changed. I searched a lot online for similar issues but I could not find something similar, I just found this regarding the SUSE changelog version of HP-AMS Drive status all shows failed on SL4540 Gen8 H220 [LSI] ILO4 due to incorrect SCSI command tags. . As I said is just a fake positive since everything works flawless, I will even receive smart errors from OS and notifications from ILO if a remove an HDD, but it's a little annoying, probably therer is something that I could configure to fix the comunication.

[Moderator edit: Erased the confidential info.]

7 REPLIES 7
Sham82
HPE Pro

Re: Storage Enclosure Device Failure - fake positive

Hello,

please check and try to install below:
https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/softwaredetails?language=en_US&softwareId=MTX_77d8702b067b42d49b2abaacb1&tab=revisionHistory

Reset ILO
Reboot the server 
and let us know the status.

Regards
HPE

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

wassy83
Occasional Advisor

Dear I already installed the related packages you suggest, but the only important one is the hp-ams_2.8.3-3056.1ubuntu16_amd64.deb that, as I wrote at the beginning, is the one used for making comunication thorugh ILO4 and the storage controller(that is not a smart array but an H220 HBA controller in IT mode). So your suggestion is not fixing my issue since I already use this package, 

Sham82
HPE Pro

Hello,

Since you already have package installed.
For further analysis , we would request you to log a HPE case.

Regards
HPE

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

wassy83
Occasional Advisor

Dear can you clarify what kind of log are you asking for?
Sham82
HPE Pro

Hello,
Request you to please raise a HPE support case and share AHS logs.

Regards
HPE

I work for HPE.

Accept or Kudo

wassy83
Occasional Advisor

at the end I found that using a little older package https://downloads.linux.hpe.com/SDR/repo/mcp/ubuntu/pool/non-free/hp-ams_2.6.0-2378.51_amd64.deb is fixing the issue, any below or above version will not work correctly with H220 in IT mode, probably it is ok to use updated versions with integrated smart array controller. 

Sham82
HPE Pro

Hello,
Glad to know that issue is resolved.
Please let us know if you have any further queries.

Regards

HPE

I work for HPE.

Accept or Kudo