108831 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML110 Gen11 - Fan noise

SOLVED
Go to solution
Roberto80
Occasional Contributor

ML110 Gen11 - Fan noise

I recently bought my first Gen11 server - an ML110.

I found that fans make more noise if compared to older servers.

When server was first started fans 3 and 4 ran at 60-65% for 3-5 minutes every 15-20 minutes.

Then, after bios/firmware/drivers upgrades, they went down to 40-42%, that is still quite high and makes it difficult to work in the same room.

At the moment the server is doing almost nothing: 1 shared folder sporadically accessed by 1-2 users.

I made an in-depth monitoring via restful apis, polling fan speed and temperatures every 30 seconds. The result is that fan speed is not related to temperature changes.

I opened a case with support and they told me:

- that this is normal

- that I cannot expect the fans to run at constant speed

- that they consider an issue only if the fans run at constant high speed

- that a fan speed of 40-42% every 15-20 minutes (and its related noise) is to be considered acceptable.

They suggested me to set workload profile to "Max Performance", but that worsened the situation.

I run many different servers (an ML350 Gen8 is in the same room) and I barely hear them.

Did anyone experience the same fans issue with ML110 Gen11?

Thank you!

44 REPLIES 44
SydUmar_1
HPE Pro

Re: ML110 Gen11 - Fan noise

Hello Roberto80,
Considering that you've already initiated a support case, the logs would have been reviewed, and recommendations would have been communicated. Please verify that the thermal configuration is optimized for cooling, ensure there are no third-party hardware installations, and set the ambient temperature according to operational guidelines.

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
FrancescoM

Rif.: ML110 Gen11 - Fan noise

Same issue here, 

two servers ML110 Gen11 fully updated with latest VmWare esxi and no VMs running 

they are so noisy I cannot bring them to the customer in this condition

regards

Francesco

Roberto80
Occasional Contributor
Solution

My server has 2 SDDs (bays 1 & 2) and 2 HDDs (originally in bays 3 & 4).

HPE actually escalated my case and after a couple of days they suggested me to try to move HDDs to different bays. They wrote me that in a similar situation with an ml110 gen11 that helped.

I tried to operate the server for a couple of days without HDDs and then I re-inserted them in bays 7&8. In both cases the two problematic fans (3&4) ran at an almost fixed speed of respectively 17% and 19% that is definitely acceptable.

Maybe you can try to move your disks, too.

FrancescoM

Hi Roberto,

I have no HDD, only SSDs. 

After a day of research I think it is an "intentionally bad design" issue,

the fans even look far worse that what used to be available in Gen6,

and I would suggest to fully abandon the product line entirely.

Buy a ML110 Gen10 instead.

I have opened yet another support ticket.  

jkubis
Occasional Advisor

We are running into the same issue. Things with HP has been terrible as well as support. I've had this server in our office for 6 months with parts availability being bad, getting a defective fan, etc. Finally was able to put this all together last week and the fans are going out of control at the customer's site. I had to pull it to bring it back for troubleshooting. Engineering told us a network card that is in the configurator will cause higher fan speeds. Well we pulled it and still having issues. Asking us to pull drives out and put a sata drive in. Not sure what that is going to do when it's a design issue.

NunoR
Visitor

Hello 

Same problem here. The noise is unbearable. Don't know if my client will acept this! HP needs to sove it!

jkubis
Occasional Advisor

There is a big issue with these servers and HP and their engineering is clueness. I have a server that I have had in the shop here for 6 months and they have tried numerous bios fixes and profiles. It's time to get a class action lawsuit rolling.

jkubis
Occasional Advisor

They sent us SSD drives as well. We are beta testers apparently for HP who clearly didn't test properly. This product is straight trash.