New Discussion

Rif.: ML110 Gen11 - Fan noise

SOLVED
Go to solution
2d
Frequent Visitor

Buenos días,
También es importante instalar la actualización CP056870.exe (Merge Module y SMA) y reiniciar el equipo

Google Translated: 

Good morning,
It is also important to install the CP056870.exe update (Merge Module and SMA) and restart the computer

[cid:a477140f-81b8-462b-8e2f-ff5324c842f5]

AVÍS DE CONFIDENCIALITAT: Aquest missatge es dirigeix exclusivament al seu destinatari. Pot contenir informació confidencial sotmesa a secret professional. Si ha rebut aquest missatge per error, li preguem que ens ho comuniqui immediatament i procedeixi a la seva destrucció. Les seves dades podran ser emmagatzemades en un fitxer de la nostra responsabilitat, per prestar satisfactòriament els serveis de la nostra empresa i fer-li arribar informació del seu interès per qualsevol mitjà. Pot exercir els seus drets d'accés, rectificació, cancel·lació i oposició dirigint-se a les nostres oficines a l'adreça dalt indicada. AVISO DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD: Este mensaje se dirige exclusivamente a su destinatario. Puede contener información confidencial sometida a secreto profesional. Si ha recibido este mensaje por error, le rogamos que nos lo comunique inmediatamente y proceda a su destrucción. Sus datos podrán ser almacenados en un fichero de nuestra responsabilidad, para prestarle satisfactoriamente los servicios de nuestra empresa y hacerle llegar información de su interés por cualquier medio. Puede ejercer sus derechos de acceso, rectificación, cancelación y oposición dirigiendose a nuestras oficinas en la dirección arriba indicada.

Dataxip

Tenemos el mismo problema de ruido. Tiket abierto hace días. Hemos probado de instalar cp060006.exe; cp056870.exe; cp057240.exe; cp059044.exe...

Nada funciona. El servidor ML 110 Gen11 hace el boot normal pero al llegar al inicio de sesión del windows server 2022 standard los ventiladores se vuelven locos de ruido y velocidad. Esperamos una solución pronto, no se puede entregar al cliente así.

Google Translated

We have the same noise problem. Ticket opened days ago. We have tried installing cp060006.exe; cp056870.exe; cp057240.exe; cp059044.exe...

Nothing works. The ML 110 Gen11 server does the normal boot but when it reaches the Windows Server 2022 standard login, the fans go crazy with noise and speed. We hope for a solution soon, it cannot be delivered to the client like this.

Rok1215
Advisor

We are having the exact same issues, which are unacceptable to our customer as they have this type of server in an office enviorment.

The only "solution" is with installing the Agentless Management Service inside the OS, that will at least tame the fan speeds/noise after 2-3 minutes when the server boots into the OS.

But the issue is still that when there are any small CPU loads on the server, the fan speeds jump to still a noticable and audioable noise level which is not acceptable. Older Gen9 and Gen10 servers do not have these issues and stay quiet, while the newest latest Gen11 is causing issues.

I have noticed that last week on the 19th they released many different new versions + new Gen11 SPP, which I will try to install at the customer and hope that it might resolve this, but I am doubtful and if this is not addressed by HPE the customer will probably want a return of the hardware and will go with a different vendor that can provide a tower server that is not this loud.

Rok1215
Advisor

I advise anyone here having similar issues, to at least make the server sound berable is to install all the latest drivers included in the Gen11 SPP from last week (19.4.2024) + all the different Windows driver installers that all got updated versions on 19.4.2024:

-Agentless Management Services, -ILO6 Channel Interface Driver, -Broadcom NX1 1Gb Driver for Windows + Broadcom NX1 Firmware for Windows (I had issues installing this one, because you first need the Driver for Windows then it will allow you to use the Firmware updater). + update Windows Server OS with latest updates.

-Manually update ILO6 to 1.59 (in the latest SPP is 1.58).

The issue of high fan speed/noise in boot is still not fixed with all these latest versions - Fan1 jump to around 30% while Fan3 jumps to 85% making it very loud. This "resolves" it self once the server boots into the OS, and the Agentless Management Service starts and communicates with the ILO interface to "calm down" the fans. Once that happens on idle the fan speed % is around 5-10%.

I think that the fans are still not working as they should, because there is still a slight noise of the speed jumping when the CPU load spikes, but it is somewhat bearable. But it is definetly not as quiet as older Gen9, Gen10 ML110s are, which is not acceptable! I can only hope they release a BIOS fix for this. I have an open case with HPE Support and provided them with all the AHS logs but still waiting on an answer.

RobertoFC
Occasional Advisor

Efectivamente el ruido se reduce, pero el inconveniente es que el procesador no refrigera suficiente.
El conducto de ventilación del procesador tiene una entrada de 2cm de ancho. El procesador está trabajando por encima de los 80º C a los 2 minutos de encenderlo.
Usando un programa para estresar el procesador (Prime95), este supera los 90º C en 5 minutos y hay que interrumpir la prueba ya que no baja la temperatura (el TDP es 93ºC).

-----

Indeed the noise is reduced, but the drawback is that the processor does not cool enough. The processor ventilation duct has a 2cm wide entrance. The processor is working above 80º C within 2 minutes of turning it on. Using a program to stress the processor (Prime95), it exceeds 90ºC in 5 minutes and the test must be interrupted since the temperature does not drop (the TDP is 93ºC).

ISL1
Established Member

We found taking the plastic shroud out seemed to resolve the issue

It is a really bad design as airflow is blocked from front intake fan to rear fan., therefore CPU temperature is high

As soon as removed the fans went from over 25% idle to 7%

Open case ongoing with HP wth findings

RobertoFC
Occasional Advisor

Hola, efecitvamente el conducto de ventilación es uno de los problemas. He echo pruebas sustituyendolo por otro de cartón con la entrada más ancha y refrigera mejor. Evidentemente estó no se puede llevar a un cliente. La última prueba ha sido mantener el conducto y poner un ventilador (7,5cm máximo) detrás del disipador. Esta es la mejor solución, el procesador se mantiene alrededor de los 60º centígrados trabajando al 100%, con lo que el resto de ventiladores no se aceleran y el ruido es bastante bajo. Problema: no hay dónde fijar el ventilador ni de dónde obtener la corriente (lo tengo con una fuente de alimentación externa). HPE no da ninguna solución, solo pasa el caso de un ingeniero a otro. Vergonzoso.

Hello, indeed the ventilation duct is one of the problems. I have done tests replacing it with another cardboard one with a wider entrance and it cools better. Obviously this cannot be brought to a client. The last test was to maintain the duct and put a fan (7,5cm max.) behind the heatsink. This is the best solution, the processor remains around 60º Celsius workin at 100%, so the rest of the fans do not accelerate and the noise is quite low. Problem: there is no place to fix the fan or where to get the power from (I have it with an external power supply). HPE does not provide any solution, it just passes the case from one engineer to another. Shameful.

Rihan
Occasional Advisor

Re: ML110 Gen11 - Fan noise

Hi all,
Hope you are well, this is a fix that worked for me on a few servers.

https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/softwaredetails?language=en_US&collectionId=MTX-89c1102d765c43ea&tab=releaseNotes&softwareId=MTX_0b287eaa62d54cc78679fe4cc4

You need to roll back the bios version from 2.16 to 1.46 and that fixes the loud noises.

If you have used intelligent provisioning then the bios version is 2.12 which is fine.

I tested a few things, 2.16 version on 2 12 version starts the issue of the constant loud fans however when you roll back to 2.12 then it doesnt sort the issue you will have to roll back to 1.46 bios version.

Hope this helps and HP take out the new bios version soon.

Thank you. Please let me know if this helps you.

When setting new servers please use intelligent provisioning.

You could also try putting the ssds into bays 5, 6, 7 and 8 this may help.

Or try the below if the above does not work. 

This is the download link: https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/softwaredetails?collectionId=MTX-ada99fb833d94a8b&tab=Installation+Instructions

It is: HPE Gen11 Agentless Management Service for Microsoft Windows x64

On the official ML110 Gen11 page, the driver listed there for Agentless Management is an older version which I installed before but had no effect on the fan speed.

After installing this on our OS (Windows Server 2022), after 30-60 seconds the fans speeds finally go down to under 10% and is quiet as it should be.

But be aware that when you reboot the server and it boots into the OS, the fans will still be loud as before for 2-3 minutes then it will gradually start slowing down and in our case Fan1/Fan3 stabalize at around 6-8% speeds.

Richard Brindle
Visitor

Bought the Tower Server yesterday fans constantly loud, upgraded all Drivers, firmware and bios to 2.16. I do have 3 ssds in 1,2,3 the system boots up goes loud when loading windows server 2022 stays loud for 4-5 mins then quietens till I do any cpu load, then it goes noisy. I cannot give to customer, am thinking this will be Sent back on Monday and pick another manufacturer, very disappointed in HP for shipping a system not fit for use. CPU temp showing 55
Dataxip

I can confirm that old BIOS v. 1.46 resolves the problem. Thank you so much !!

Very dissapointed with HPE, they only say me that the problem was for use not HPE SSD Disks... And still haven't an update to fix it !!

============

Puedo confirmar que la versión antingua 1.46 de BIOS resuelve el problema. Muchísimas gracias !!

Però estoy muy decepcionado con HPE, ellos me decían que el problema era causado por no utilizar discos HPE... Y siguen sin tener una actualización para resolverlo !!