1758458 Members
3076 Online
108871 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Proliant vs Dell Poweredge

andej
Occasional Visitor

HP Proliant vs Dell Poweredge

I felt that used proliants were a bit cheaper than poweredges, and so I went with proliant g9s and I've been happy as a clam. I noticed that people seem to discuss poweredges more and when I visit colocations, it seems that poweredges are more prevalent. Am I missing something? Is the difference marginal?

What are yalls preference?

2 REPLIES 2
support_s
System Recommended

Query: HP Proliant vs Dell Poweredge

System recommended content:

1. Configuring and Tuning HP ProLiant Servers for Low-Latency Applications White Paper

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

BunnyPon
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP Proliant vs Dell Poweredge

I don't actually think that this is the place for comparisons but.

Yahoo Auctions (Japan) category "COMPUTER > SERVERS" has this to say. (it's not very accurate as apparently iphone XR are DELL!)

1. HP, 1577
  2. FUJITSU, 1168
  3. DELL, 1000
  4. NEC, 908
  5. OTHER, 734

Because HPE use this "Gen8,9,10,11.." it is so much easier to tell how old a model is there. Note, Hitachi 8000/V are rebadged and cursed. I think Fujitsu does this too, but I've yet to see one of their rebadged toys in the metal.

Roughly, by generation I see:

• Gen 10, about 100
  • Gen 9, about 350
  • Gen 8, about 400  (Microserver gen 8 is way better than the Microserver gen 10 because real working ILO *AND* you can change the CPU.)

But this isn't very accurate as their search has... issues. The issue with gen9 and older is getting firmware and stuff out of HPE. That may well be why there are so many on Y! That and companies retire perfectly good hardware for tax reasons...

By comparison, when I look for DELLs, I have no idea how new a toy is without looking for the CPU model. And then they aren't as cute as as the ML30 -.-;

I can't Cat Today.