1758342 Members
2066 Online
108868 Solutions
New Discussion

FW Flashing fail and no power

dhchoi
Occasional Advisor

FW Flashing fail and no power

I've been flash wrong SPS firmware to my microserver gen10 plus by my mistake.

Exactly I've updated microserver gen10 plus V2 model's SPS firmware to normal gen10 plus model.

The update process went to infinite loop and I tried force reboot and then the green power button light just flashes and never powers on.

The iLO is working fine but I cannot reinstall new firmware due to I cannot turn on my server.

Do I need to have the system board replaced? Please help me!

16 REPLIES 16
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: FW Flashing fail and no power

Hi,

Before going for replacement, you can try to clear the NVRAM from the System Maintenance Switch.
Refer to this guide, item# 4.  System maintenance switch descriptions, S6 is the switch.

Thank You!
I work with HPE but opinions expressed here are mine.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

shiva_jr
HPE Pro

Hi @dhchoi ,
    Sometime it works by iLO settings such as "Swap ROM BIOS' option and installable listed in "Remove the installation queue" if any. Please try.
Regards,
Shiva_JR
Please mark as 'Accepted solution'  and give me 'Kudos' if my post worked.

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

dhchoi
Occasional Advisor

I already tried to "Swap ROM BIOS" setting in iLO, but same symptoms.

I think swap process needs to system turn-on but it's not able to turn-on the system now.

Does it needs to change DIP swtich (such as "S1, S5, S6") on the board?

dhchoi
Occasional Advisor

OK, I'll try to change DIP switch to S6. Many Thanks!

Suvamay
HPE Pro

If this does not work then System board is suspected 

I'm an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo
Kijan
Frequent Visitor

@Suvamay Hello Together,

I have the same problem with 2 servers.
I downloaded the wrong firmware from the HPE Support Portal under my product and noticed too late that the text refers to V2.
Unfortunately, iLO accepted and flashed the firmware without any problems. On one server it has been flashing for 8 hours...

On the other server I have already tried all the steps described above and also tried to restart the flashing with ilorest, but without success because the server cannot be switched on.

I have seen that there is a recovery image for the PLC firmware for the V2 that can be flashed via iLO web. Is there something like this for the Gen 10 Plus without V2?

Kijan
Frequent Visitor

Hello Together,

now it's a month later with no nresponse.

I tried to use the System Recovery Set, bit this does not include the sps-firmware.

I created a new System Recovery Set with the ilorest tool.

The server started the firmwareupdate but crashes every time with the folowing error.

Firmware Update
The last attempt to update or upload firmware was not successful. Make sure you are using a valid, signed flash file and try again. If you are attempting to install a component, first upload it to the iLO Repository then add it to the Installation Queue.

I tried different files (versions of firmware and OS) everytime the same result.
Is there a special signed version of the firmware?

What I ask myself about this topic is:

•  Why am I being offered the update for Microserver Gen 10 plus V2 to the serial number of an "old" Gen 10 Plus?
  • Why is the reference to V2 only in the title?

If you select the product under "Find a Version", you are also offered Microserver Gen 10 Plus (without V2)

• The server accepts the file and starts the update although the version is not intended for the device.
  • Why is the "wrong" version still offered in the Support Center?
AnarS
Frequent Visitor

I am experiencing the same issue and have similar questions. Clearly, it is HPE's fault that their support center provides an incorrect firmware version that damages the device. In my case, rather than resolving the issue correctly, they issued a service quotation of ~1560 euros to replace the board. It's more cost-effective to purchase a new server! Consequently, I will not buy from them again and will instead opt for a different manufacturer to avoid such inadequate aftermarket support.
dhchoi
Occasional Advisor

Right!, HPE has a lot of responsibility for this issue.

They are no longer providing me with countermeasures because of terminated warranty.

Likewise, I ended up buying another new product because the board cost was very high.

I want to know method of physically re-flashing the ROM IC (via ROM copy machine) and a ROM program.

By the way, where is the SPS stored?