2867 Online
108871 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Fan Noise ML350 gen11

peterb68
Occasional Advisor

Fan Noise ML350 gen11

Hello,
We have a problem with loud fans on 2 new ML350 Gen11 servers.
The servers are up to date.
The fans are constantly running at over 21%.

We installed an ML350 gen11 last year and the fans are running at 11%. This is not up to date.
So it must be a driver, firmware or BIOS update.

No ML350 gen10 servers have this problem, the fans are running at 6-8%.

Maybe others have this problem and a solution.

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15
Greeshma21
HPE Pro

Re: Fan Noise ML350 gen11

Hi @peterb68 

You can refer to this post, It might help you to resolve the issue.
For more info, Refer to Fan and thermal issues.

Regards,
Greeshma

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
peterb68
Occasional Advisor

Hello,
I have installed the generic Gen11 Agentless Management Service for Microsoft Windows x64, unfortunately the speed of the fans does not change. It is still at 23% and is too loud.

Greeshma21
HPE Pro

Hi @peterb68 

If the fan speed is high even after installing AMS, this indicates a possible hardware issue. Further troubleshooting needs to be performed to isolate the issue further. You may consider performing a server power drain to begin with. To do so, shut down the server, disconnect all the external cables including Power, Network, and External devices, then press and hold down the power button.

Regards,
Greeshma

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
peterb68
Occasional Advisor

I have the problem of loud fans on 2 new servers. Both identical.

peterb68
Occasional Advisor

I have now done what you described. After 20 minutes the fan speed increases again to 25%. So this is not a solution.

shiva_jr
HPE Pro

Hi @peterb68 ,

Please try following steps -
1) Verify that the thermal configuration and should be optimized as per the CPU utilization.
2) If third party hardware such as HBAs, controllers etc are installed, test by removing one by one.
3) Remove all the RAM DIMMs and start with minimal required number of DIMMs.
4) Swap the disks and run the server with minimal disks.
5) Check the lab AC must be in proper degree, server should be seated with good air flow.
Refer this blog.

Regards,
Shiva_JR

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

dpconsulenze

Good morning, I also have the same problem on the ML350 gen11, minimum temperatures and constant fans at 50%. No proposed solution helped, in fact after updating the drivers and firmware in April the problem got worse. I have another ML350 gen11 purchased 6 months ago and no problems but it has older out of date drivers and firmware. So the problem concerns an update that occurred in the last 6 months. I opened a support ticket to HPE but to date no response.

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @dpconsulenze,

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. We request you please take a moment to reply to the private message we've sent and provide the requested information. This will enable us to address your concerns with the relevant team.

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo
dpconsulenze

Good morning, in my case it was solved by performing a fw downgrade of the HPDA version to HPD9 of the 2 300 GB SAS disks