2034 Online
108872 Solutions
New Discussion

OpenVMS storage migration

Dilip7
Occasional Contributor

OpenVMS storage migration

Hello,

I am very new to openVMS cluster environment. 

i have a requirement of migrating old netapp storage box to new netapp storage box. in my environment there is 2 Node cluster running on v8.4 hardware. where system disk is from SAN (say DGA100).

we also have a internal disk(say DKA100) to boot the server if incase we need to scan new LUNs.

generally storage team provides new LUNs id once they switch the storage to new Netapp device.  but i am not sure how to boot servers from new DGA100 SAN disk which is configure in cluster invironment.

Do i need to shutdown both cluster nodes (primary and secondary) and scan SAN disk (DGA100) from primary node while secondary node is down. and when primary server is booted up then bring up the secondary?

will secondary node autometically join cluster with new SAN disk.?  How can i be sure the the wwid with the server is same wwid which storage team gave?

can someone please assist with process how can i smoothly migrate old storage to new storage box .

4 REPLIES 4
support_s
System Recommended

Query: OpenVMS storage migration

System recommended content:

1. HSG80 Attached Storage cannot be seen by OpenVMS

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

Vinky_99
Esteemed Contributor

Re: OpenVMS storage migration

@Dilip7 

Good day! 

I can help you with some general info. Migrating NetApp storage to a new storage box involves several steps, and you need to be careful to ensure a smooth transition. Here are general steps you might consider, but keep in mind that these steps may vary based on the specifics of your NetApp environment, so always refer to the official NetApp documentation and consult with your storage team.

>> Ensure you have a recent backup of your data.
>> Document the current NetApp configuration, including network settings, LUN configurations, and any other relevant settings.

>> Coordinate with your storage team to get the necessary details about the new LUNs and storage configurations.

- Migration Steps

>> Shutdown both nodes in your cluster gracefully.
>> Have the storage team present the new LUNs to your cluster.
>> Confirm that the WWIDs of the new LUNs match the information provided by the storage team.

>> Boot the primary node from the SAN disk (DGA100) in maintenance mode. This may involve modifying the boot order in the server's BIOS/UEFI settings.

>> Once the primary node is up, scan for the new SAN disk. You can use NetApp commands like disk show -n to identify the disks.

>> Verify that the WWID of the new SAN disk matches the one provided by the storage team. You can use commands like disk show -n or sysconfig -r for this.

>> Bring the primary node into the cluster.
>> Once the primary node is up and part of the cluster, bring up the secondary node.
>> Verify the cluster status using commands like clus status.
>> Verify that data access is working as expected on both nodes.
>> Conduct thorough testing to ensure the stability and performance of the new storage configuration.
Considerations:
>> Refer to the official NetApp documentation for your specific version for detailed steps and considerations.

>> Ensure that the WWID of the new SAN disk matches the information provided by the storage team. This is crucial for data integrity.

>> Have a plan for failback in case any issues arise during the migration.

>> Monitor the system closely during and after the migration for any errors or performance issues.
Always consult with your NetApp support if you have any doubts or specific requirements in your environment.

I hope this give some insights! Good luck.

These are my opinions so use it at your own risk.
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

There are a lot of moving parts here, way too many to try to describe in an internet forum, starting with properly configuring your NetApp.

We do this work for clients all around the world. In fact, we're doing this for a semi-conductor fab in March.   We'd be happy to provide you a quote.  I think my contact information is in my my profile.  If not, look us up at www dot sciinc dot com.  Or, I beleive you can send me a private message through this forum.

Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International
Dilip7
Occasional Contributor

This has helped me to prepare migration plan.

Thanks