108872 Solutions
New Discussion

Facing errors while creating Multipath-Raid using mdadm

utnoor
HPE Pro

Re: Facing errors while creating Multipath-Raid using mdadm

Hi Natasha3,

Kindly follow the link & re-create the iSCSI LUNs as per the document however,

my suggestion would be to use multipath rather than madam (not as advanced as multipath)

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Natasha3
Occasional Advisor

I tried re-creating LUNS as suggested by the document by making use of multipath instead of mdadm. But facing same errors. After receiving the ISCSI devices on my initator server , wwids/wwn of the devices changes making it difficult to make multipath on them.   

utnoor
HPE Pro

Hi Natasha3,

If it works it can be used otherwise, it is better to use multipath rather than mdadm because , as we told earlier the module will not be loaded by default to support software RAID with multipath "MD_MULTIPATH provides a simple multi-path personality for use the MD framework. It is not under active development. New projects should consider using DM_MULTIPATH which has more features and more testing" 

To create the software RAID with multipath.........we require "md_multipath" module which is not available to load in RHEL 8.7 by default.......

The concerned information code is given in the below link............https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v3.8/source/drivers/md/multipath.c

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Natasha3
Occasional Advisor

Hey @utnoor ,
Tried all your suggestions.  Also used "DM_MULTIPATH" but I am unable to create multipath of my iscsi devices. 
The problem I am facing is that,
My iscsi devices (which is same physical devices sent via different paths to a server) are having different serial number, wwid, wwn number , iscsi id on the server when transferred to the server via two different controllers . 
Therefore whenever I try to make multipath them using "DM_MULTIPATH" i get error saying 
"only one orphaned path". It is not recognising other path (another iscsi device which is same physical device). 

utnoor
HPE Pro

Hi Natasha3,

Please follow the link provided earlier to flush the multipath & re-create the maps to the LUNs

If any issues then it has to be checked at iSCSI end.

https://www.qsan.com/data/dl_files/qs_wp_iSCSI-MPIO-in-Linux%20(en).pdf    

I'm an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo
Natasha3
Occasional Advisor

@utnoor 

Hey Utnoor,

Checked this code.  
https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v3.19.8/source/drivers/md/multipath.c

Is this code under developement ? Is thiis code working? Can it solve our problems related to logical disks persisent naming of unique identifiers incase multipath?