1758335 Members
1974 Online
108868 Solutions
New Discussion

Facing errors while creating Multipath-Raid using mdadm

Natasha3
Occasional Advisor

Facing errors while creating Multipath-Raid using mdadm

I have a server having two hdds (/dev/sdc and /dev/sdd) . Both hdds are same physical disk sent by two different paths to the sever (ISCSI Connection).  I am trying to create a multipath raid device using the following command :
"mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=multipath --raid-devices=2 /dev/sdd /dev/sdc "
But facing error 
" mdadm: RUN_ARRAY failed: Invalid argument  "

my /etc/mdadm.conf  file
DEVICE /dev/sdd /dev/sdc
ARRAY /dev/md0 metadata=1.2 name=myarray:0 UUID=261fb9c:976d0d97:30bc63ce:85e76e91
Where UUID is some random generated unique UUID that I want to give to my newly formed md0.

Can anyone help me with this?

15 REPLIES 15
techin
Super Advisor

Re: Facing errors while creating Multipath-Raid using mdadm

Can you share more info about the product.. like what Server, model, storage info etc?

Natasha3
Occasional Advisor

Hey , I am using INTEL S2600WFQ server board for making multipath . On this server I am getting 2 SAS disks (a same SAS physical disk via 2 different iscsi paths)  from 2 different servers which are connected to a same storage array. 

I am not very sure about the two servers and the storage array details as my work is only to create multipath on the INTEL sever.

disk:
NAME - HC530 
MODEL - WH721412AL5204

utnoor
HPE Pro

Hi Natasha3,

May I know which OS you're using to create mdadm commands?

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Natasha3
Occasional Advisor

OS - Redhat 8.7 

utnoor
HPE Pro

Hi Natasha3,

Kindly follow the example link from Red Hat itself on how to create software RAID.

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/managing_storage_devices/managing-raid_managing-storage-devices#creating-a-software-raid-on-an-installed-system_managing-raid

I hope that helps in resolving your issue

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
utnoor
HPE Pro

Hi Natasha3,

We do not see option of multipath for mdadm as earlier found to be in RHEL 5/6.

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/5/html/installation_guide/s1-s390info-raid#s2-s390info-raid

I'm an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo
Natasha3
Occasional Advisor

Hey @utnoor , Thankyou for the reply .
I am asked to configure multipath only and not raid.

Is there any alternative for creating multipath instead of using mdadm?

or should one from the above discussion conclude that one cannot create multipath on 2 same disks (which host receives via 2 diffrent iscsi path) using any open source utilities on any open source OS present currently?

utnoor
HPE Pro

Hi Natasha3,

When you try to create the software raid you get error " mdadm: RUN_ARRAY failed: Invalid argument " at the same time, when you check the log messages you should see error "md: personality for level -4 is not loaded!" which means the module for md_multipath is not loaded (i.e., for --level=multipath) & from developers we see is "MD_MULTIPATH provides a simple multi-path personality for use the MD framework. It is not under active development. New projects should consider using DM_MULTIPATH which has more features and more testing" ................And from the kernel source code it is available but **cannot** be loaded into the kernel..........like " dracut:Failed to install module md_multipath".....................for your scenario guidance follow this step by step guide.........https://www.qsan.com/data/dl_files/qs_wp_iSCSI-MPIO-in-Linux%20(en).pdf                                                                          ________________________xXx_____________________

I'm an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo
Natasha3
Occasional Advisor

Hey @utnoor ,
Followed the document "https://www.qsan.com/data/dl_files/qs_wp_iSCSI-MPIO-in-Linux%20(en).pdf" , multipath was created only on local disk and not the disks sent via ISCSI paths.

Can you help me with creation of multipath on iscsi disks?