Integrity Servers
1758459 Members
3033 Online
108871 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Configure raid volume after switching from HBA to Raid mode HPE rx2800 i4 SmartArray P

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rory-M
Collector

Configure raid volume after switching from HBA to Raid mode HPE rx2800 i4 SmartArray P410i

We acquired a used HP Integrity rx2800 i4 for the purpose of moving the containers from an existing rx2800 at a site that we're exiting, as the existing site uses an EOL SAN. 

The replacement server was shipped with only a single hard drive pre-installed with HPUX and the Smart Array P410i set to HBA mode, so we ordered additional disks to populate the empty bays replace the pre-installed OS drive in case I need to come back to it.

I used the IPF Offline Diagnostics cd via the iLo and ran the saupdate efi utility from the UEFI console to switch to RAID Mode. 

fs1:\>cd \EFI\HP\TOOLS\IO_CARDS\SmartArray
fs1:\EFI\HP\TOOLS\IO_CARDS\SmartArray> saupdate set_mode 0:1:0:0 RAID

This was succesfull and I rebooted the host back to the UFEI console, and I then attempted to use the drvcfg tool to configure a Raid Array

fs0:> drivers
9B 00000358 B X X 1 7 Smart Array SAS Driver v3.58 MemoryMapped(0xB,0x
fs0:> drvcfg -s 9B 99

This brought up the Smart Array ORCA Menu, so I proceeded to Create a Logical drive using the menu. 
array_config1.png

array_config2.png

array_config3.png

This however did not create a logical volume, and on reboot no volumes where found. 

I installed the firmware that was included on the IPF Offline Utilities, that turned out to be a downgrade, I tried the ORCA menu on that version too with no luck.

I then downloaded the current firmware and used the efi_fsinit tool to create a efi disk on a small LVM, then efi_cp to copy the firmware onto that volume, then used dd to create an image of it, downloaded that and used the iLo to mount it, boot the host back into the UFEI shell and run the saupdate utility to update the firmware succesfully. 

Unfortunatley even with the latest firmware the ORCA menu would not create a logical volume, and because I don't have anywhere to install or run HPUX from on this host after switching the controller to raid mode, I can't use the saconfig utility to configure an array. 

Anyone got any idea why the ORCA menu wouldn't work? or can think of another way I could configure a raid volume? 

6 REPLIES 6
Hawkeye
HPE Pro

Re: Configure raid volume after switching from HBA to Raid mode HPE rx2800 i4 SmartArray P

I believe you are following the correct procedure, but not saving the logical drive you are creating.
There is an issue with some keyboard layout where the function keys do not work, so it could be that F8 is not working for you.

I thought it was ESC F8 to have F8 work, but in this case that would simply exit without saving. So try some other key sequences like INSRT F8 or CNTRL F8 and then check to see if the logical drive has been created by running ORCA again.
Also, it looks like you are trying to configure a RAID1+0 from all 8 drives for boot. So just try selecting 2 drives for RAID1 and see if that works OK.

I work for HPE
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HPE products is just a click away HPE Support Center Knowledge-base
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Rory-M
Collector

Thanks for your reply Hawkeye, gave that a go without much luck. Worth noting that it returns to the volume configuration screen and I see a flickery refresh of the text at the bottom of volume configuration page after I press F8 on the confirm screen. I tried using CTRL-F8 and got the same results, using INSERT-F8 it does the same thing but returns to the main menu after. 

array_config2_v2.png

Rory-M
Collector

@Hawkeye 

I notice this message at boot, and I wonder if there is anyhting that I should have done to prepare the drives? They did come out of a box from a supplier, but I don't know if they've been used before or not. 

raid_pos1.png

Here's a short video I screen recorded of me attempting to configure a logical volume using the ORCA menu. 

Hawkeye
HPE Pro

So, it looks like ORCA is seeing the drives, but you have still not managed to save a logical drive.

You have to get ORCA to save the logicl drive configuration before you can proceed..
I still cannot remember the key sequence when F8 is not working direct, so try everything e.g. ESC 8, INS 8 ESC F8 etc etc.

You must get a logical drive saved before continuing.

I work for HPE
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HPE products is just a click away HPE Support Center Knowledge-base
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Rory-M
Collector
Solution

Success finally, ALT-8 dd it, I can't believe that was all it was ahahaha, I'm verry relieved, thanks for the help! 

alt_8_did_it.PNG

I figure I'll just install to a raid 0 volume on the last 2 disks, then I'll build a raid 5 or ADG volume using saconfig then DRD the install over to it and delete the origional raid 0 volume to get around the limited options int he ORCA menu. 

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @Rory-M,

Awesome! 

We are extremely glad to know the problem has been resolved and we appreciate you for keeping us posted. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo