New Discussion

Re: Query: Esxi 7 boot from iSCSI LUN

SOLVED
Go to solution
daliborazure
Occasional Advisor

Esxi 7 boot from iSCSI LUN

HI

I have configured HPE synergy 480 10 server with ESXi 7 to boot from iSCSI LUN on another storage. It is working fine however network card that is assigned to boot from . It all works good but management NIC takes IP address from assigned iSCSI initiator IP address

To configure this I have used this document

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00056029en_us&docLocale=en_US&page=GUID-4DFC1780-CE76-4CCF-945C-A419F9EACA99.html

THis means that ESXI management NIC will take IP address from iSCSI initiator. I would like to know if this is by design and it has to be that way or something is misconfigured

server profile.JPG

esxi management IP.JPG

7 REPLIES 7
support_s
System Recommended

Query: Esxi 7 boot from iSCSI LUN

System recommended content:

1. HPE Ethernet 53x, FlexFabric 53x/63x, and Synergy Converged Network Adapters | ESXi iSCSI Boot from SAN for Synergy

2. DEPLOYING AND UPDATING VMWARE ESXI ON HPE SERVERS

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

daliborazure
Occasional Advisor

Ya i have seen these documents

The question is is it by design that esxi management NIC picks up IP address of iSCSI initiator

Rama2
HPE Pro

The Given doccument holds good for ISCSI configuration 
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00056029en_us&page=GUID-4DFC1780-CE76-4CCF-945C-A419F9EACA99.html

ESXi Management NIC:
The management NIC is used for general network communication, including tasks like ESXi host management, vMotion, and other non-storage-related traffic.
The IP address for the management NIC is typically assigned through DHCP or configured statically.
It does not take its IP address from the iSCSI initiator.

iSCSI Initiator:
The iSCSI initiator is responsible for connecting to the iSCSI target (storage system) over the network.
It uses either the iSCSI Qualified Name (IQN) or the IP address of the iSCSI target to establish connections.
The IP address for the iSCSI initiator is configured separately from the management NIC.

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
daliborazure
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Yes you are right but I was able to accomplish this only with esxi 7 build 223

What happens is that virtual switch is used for management but host creates another virtual switch port group and vmkernel  and then uses that for boot from iSCSI

Switch name is iSCSIBootPG and it is using this to boot but only when i used build 7.03 build 22348816 then everything works as expected

Rama2
HPE Pro

Since its specific to" ESXi 7.03 build 22348816", Unable to find any known issue's been reported 
Kindly log a ticket with HPE for further analysis on the issue 

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
cer113
Frequent Advisor

THis build actually allowed me to do what i want. ESXi creates new switch new port group assigns IP address so this build is good

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @cer113 

We are glad to know your concern has been addressed. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo