1758344 Members
1940 Online
108868 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Upgrade path for SN6600B switch

jchen522
Frequent Advisor

Upgrade path for SN6600B switch

We are replacing existing SN6600B SAN switches with newer SN6600B SAN switches.  There are two zones with three switches in each zone.  What is the migration path if existing ones are 7.X? Which version are compatible with which versions? all switches in the same one must run compatible version with each other?  Will this be an undisruptive upgrade? What are the correct steps? Please point me in the right direction.  Thank you!
10 REPLIES 10
Cali
Honored Contributor

Re: Upgrade path for SN6600B switch

Hello,

search for "Fabric OS v9.1.1c Release Notes", or whatever FOS Version your new Switch has.

In Section "10.3.2 Migrating from FOS 9.1.x" you will find a Table, that shows what combination is Supported.

Also Table "11.2.3 Fabric OS Compatibility" show, to what Version you can Update your old Switches.

Generally, you can not Mix V 7.x and 9.x.

Cali

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
jchen522
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for the quick reply!

Once I get the switches on the compatible version

if it is WWID based zoning, I set it to unique Domain ID and move the cables and replaces the switch one by one?

If it is port based zoning, I set it to the same Domain ID and move the cables and replace the switch one by one, do I need to configupload and configdownload from the old switch to the new switch?

Cali
Honored Contributor

If it is in the compatible/support List and WWN Based Zoning, yes, this is simple.

If it is in the compatible/support List and Port-Based Zoning, you should replace it with WWN Based Zoning, because Port Based is a very Old School and should be replaced by WWN (for multiple good reasons) as soon as possible and now, is a good time to do this.

If it is not on the compatible/support List, hopefully, you have two redundant Fabrics.

In this case, I power down one Fabric, replace it with the new Fabric, Test-Path, and then do the same for the second Fabric.

This can be done also Online if all Hosts have redundant Path.

Cali

jchen522
Frequent Advisor

Thank you!

I believe SN6600B is Brocade G620 which has three different switchType. According to the release notes, the eariliest interoperate version is either 8.20 or 9.0.0 or 9.1.1 depending on the switchtype.  Assumming the new switches are running 9.1.X. 

This means I would need to upgrade the existing SAN switches to those verion first before I can merge the new switch to the existing switches correct?

We have two fabrics with three switches each.  Those two fabrics version do not need to be interoperate with each other correct?  Only the switches within the fabric need to have compatible versions correct?

Will there be any situation that will prevent me from upgrading the existing 7.X switches to 8.X and then to 9.X? Meaning will there be a situation where I cannot ugprade the version high enough to get the lowerest interoperate version of the new switches? Maybe existing switches doesn't support that higher version? What do you do in that case then?

Cali
Honored Contributor

We have two fabrics with three switches each.  Those two fabrics version do not need to be interoperate with each other correct?  Only the switches within the fabric need to have compatible versions correct?

Correct

Will there be any situation that will prevent me from upgrading the existing 7.X switches to 8.X and then to 9.X? Meaning will there be a situation where I cannot ugprade the version high enough to get the lowerest interoperate version of the new switches? 

Yes, and this is the main problem, globally I would say:

8.x Firmware only for 16GB Switches and above
9.x Firmware only for 32GB Switches and above

In Detail, check "Brocade┬о Fabric OS┬о Software Upgrade User Guide" for each FOS and your Switch Model.
Most Times FOS 7.x Switches are unable to Update to FOS 8.x.
And the new Switches will have FOS 9.1 and are not allowed to Downgrade to 8.x
The Result is, that you have no Way to connect both togehter for easy Migration.
Cali

NimaG
HPE Pro

Hello jchen522,

Switches within a fabric need to be compatible with each other.

For the latest FOS versions supported on specific switch models, please refer SPOCK:
http://www.hpe.com/storage/spock 

You'll be required to sign in or register, as an HPE Passport account is a prerequisite.

Once logged in, select Switches from the left-hand menu, under Other Hardware.
Click on B-Series FC Switch Connectivity stream

This is a dynamic document and contains the latest information.

For information on the minimum FOS required on each switch in a fabric, for interoperability, refer the Release Notes of the highest version of FOS used in the Fabric.
That is, if the highest FOS is v9.2.2c in the fabric, access the release notes for v9.2.2c
Refer the section 'Fabric OS Compatibility' in chapter 'Limitations and Restrictions'.

Please get back to us for any further clarifications.

Regards,

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

jchen522
Frequent Advisor

Got it.  Thank you for that verify that info!

Any changes we should watch for in terms of configurations going from version 8 to 9?

jchen522
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for that info.  I will check into those documents.

NimaG
HPE Pro

Hello jchen522,

FOS v9.0x is a major upgrade with numerous changes to supported hardware and software.
Please refer the release notes for detailed information:
HPE : https://downloads.hpe.com/pub/softlib2/software1/pubsw-windows/p2007118470/v186294/HPE_FOS_9.0.0a_RN_v1.0.pdf
Broadcom : https://docs.broadcom.com/doc/FOS-v9.0.1c-RN

Please revert for any further information.

Regards,

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo