Re: Primera A630 - Activate ZSTD compression

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cyrille63
Occasional Contributor

Primera A630 - Activate ZSTD compression

Hi,

I have a A630 Primera Storage, the firmware is 4.5.4

I would like to know how to activate zstd compression ?

And can you explain what is "Data reduction" on volume, V1 and V2 ?

Thanks,

Cyrille

4 REPLIES 4
AnilKT
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi Cyrille63,

In HPE Primera, the Data reduction feature is a combination of Deduplication and Compression.

If you enable the data reduction feature on volumes, deduplication is enabled for both V1 and V2.

The V1 compression version will use the LZ4 algorithm and the V2 compression version will use the Zstd algorithm.

To enable the Zstd compression
Select the virtual Volume - Go to Actions menu - Select Edit - Advanced Settings- Data reduction (Select V2)

Hope this helps.!

Regards
Anil

I work for HPE.
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.

Accept or Kudo

sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hello @Cyrille63,

As I checked, there is no explicit statement from HPE that confirms zstd compression support on HPE Primera. However you can check what Anil advised above.

You can also refer to this YT video and the URL mentioned at the end of the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5XsiuxHv_A

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of the company.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Cyrille63
Occasional Contributor

Thanks to you Anil and Srinivas

All is clearn now

Tony Carroll
HPE Pro

Hi,

just a quiet clarication here. The actions covered above are for the Primera/Alletra Console GUI and not SSMC for the Primera platform. This conversion is a VV by VV basis and can have a performance impact on an array. There are two other means to targeting more than one volume at a time using tunesys and tuneVV. Reference the appropiate 4.5 CLI reference guides for the details.

When considering converting multiple volumes at a time please consider using low production times for such work and spread the conversions over time to prevent impact on the array performance depending on the controller model involved.

Tony Carroll

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]