108872 Solutions
New Discussion

3PAR StoreServ A650 - Calculating usage and overprovisioning

SOLVED
Go to solution
ColinCallanan
Occasional Visitor

3PAR StoreServ A650 - Calculating usage and overprovisioning

Hi there, I'm looking for some help in calculating overprovisioning % on a primera system.

In the SANXpert tool, we were calculating usage totals for a recent 3PAR StoreServ A650 (2 nodes) on fw 4.5.7.8.

In a recent customer report we saw the following:

Usage Total (Declared: 626688 MB, i.e. 545% of available space)
Reserved Space:
User Used 93813 MB (82%)
User Unused 13963 MB (12%)
Admin Used 0 MB (0%)
Admin Unused 0 MB (0%)
Snap Used 0 MB (0%)
Snap Unused 7168 MB (6%)
Total Reserved 114944 MB (100%)
Overprov. 511744 MB (445%)
Total declared 626688 MB (545%)

The calculations finds that Total declared (626688) is 545.21200% of Total reserved (114944).These numbers come from the following calculations:

Total Reserved is the sum of:
  •  UserUsed
    • From the showvv -s table, pull out Thinly provisioned items and sum the Usr Used MiB

• UserUnused
  • From the showvv -s table, pull out Thinly provisioned items and sum the Usr Rsvd MiB and subtract this number from UsrUsed number from the previous step

• Snap Unused
  • From the showvv -s table, pull out Thinly provisioned items and sum the Snp Rsvd MiB

Total declared is sum of VSizeMb
  • From the showvv -s table, pull out Thinly provisioned items and sum the Total VSize MiB

Percentage of Overprovisioned Space=(Total Reserved Space/Total Provisioned Space)×100%Using the values we initially had:
Percentage of Overprovisioned Space=(626,688 MB/114,944 MB)×100%
Percentage of Overprovisioned Space≈(5.45)×100%≈545%: (edited) 

A customer has naturally queried this 545% usage so we need to revisit if there is some obvious mistake in how we calculate this for Primera?

3 REPLIES 3
AnilKT
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: 3PAR StoreServ A650 - Calculating usage and overprovisioning

Hi ColinCallanan,

Overprovisioning Percentage is calculated as (Total Reserved Space / Total Provisioned Space) * 100%

The Total Reserved space as you mentioned is 114944 and the total provisioned space (declared) is 626688.

Overprovisioning Percentage = (114944/626688)*100%

Hope this helps.!

Regards

Anil

I work for HPE.
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.

Accept or Kudo

ColinCallanan
Occasional Visitor

Thank you Anil, this makes sense and it simply looks like the previous person who worked on this had inverted the calculations. I have switched it around now and we are testing to see how this works with our previous test cases.

Thanks

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @ColinCallanan,

That's awesome! 

We are extremely glad to know the problem has been resolved and we appreciate you for keeping us posted. Please do let me know if any further help is needed. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo