HPE OneView
1758535 Members
1893 Online
108872 Solutions
New Discussion

OV 8.70, Gen11 server, PCR Measurements Changed, Component Type BIOS PCR Index PCR13

pirx
Valued Contributor

OV 8.70, Gen11 server, PCR Measurements Changed, Component Type BIOS PCR Index PCR13

I did setup a few DL380Gen11 server a few weeks ago and did not get this warning. Now I've a few new DL320Gen11 and I've updates OV to v8.70 last week. I've update the firmwares of the server now.

I found this post PCR Measurements Changed, Component Type BIOS PCR ... - Hewlett Packard Enterprise Community (hpe.com)

The warning is triggered after each reboot (maybe power cycle) even without OS installed. What is the ToDo to make clear this permanently ?

PCR Measurements Changed, Component Type BIOS PCR Index PCR13

1/11/24  6:52:43 pm
15 minutes ago
Active
unassigned
Resolution 

Configuration change detected in above mentioned component, please verify if firmware version is as expected

Notes

Event details
  1. alertTypeID 

Redfish.iLOEvents.6.5.PCRChanged

2. correctiveAction 

Configuration change detected in above mentioned component, please verify if firmware version is as expected

3. eventTimestamp 

2024-01-11T17:52:38Z

4. ipv4Address 

5. ipv6Address 

fe80:0:0:0:5eed:8cff:fead:5466

6. lifeCycle 

false

7. Redfish.EventId 

6dd9de92-dbe3-6bae-9c14-350a738d2d86

8. Resource 

/redfish/v1/Managers/1/SecurityService/

9. resourceID 

/redfish/v1/Managers/1/SecurityService/

10. resourceUri 

/rest/server-hardware/37323550-3636-5A43-4A44-303530313250

11 REPLIES 11
Kashyap02
HPE Pro

Re: OV 8.70, Gen11 server, PCR Measurements Changed, Component Type BIOS PCR Index PCR13

Hello, 

Refer to the advisory. Advisory: HPE Integrated Lights-Out 6 (iLO 6) - "PCR Measurements Changed" Critical Error Message Displayed in HPE OneView

This is a known issue and will be resolved in future version of ILO firmware. 

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

pirx
Valued Contributor

Re: OV 8.70, Gen11 server, PCR Measurements Changed, Component Type BIOS PCR Index PCR13

@Kashyap02 

Ok, thanks. One thing that I still dont understand... according to RBSU Common options | UEFI System Utilities User Guide for HPE ProLiant Gen11 Servers, and HPE Synergy the TpmActivePcrs should be set to "Not Specified". Then why is it set to Sha256Sha384?

TpmActivePcrs Server Security/TPM Options

• Not Specified (default)
Kashyap02
HPE Pro

Hello, 

Configuring Trusted Platform Module (TPM) options | UEFI System Utilities User Guide for HPE ProLiant Gen11 Servers, and HPE Synergy

• Current TPM 2.0 Active PCRs: When the PCR banks are switched, the algorithm used to compute the hashed values stored in the PCRs during extend operations is changed. Options are:
    • SHA1 only
    • SHA256 only
    • SHA384 only
    • SHA1 and SHA256
    • SHA256 and SHA384
I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

pirx
Valued Contributor

@Kashyap02 Sorry, but I don't get the context of your answer. My question was:

Then why is it set to Sha256Sha384?

When documentation contains:

TpmActivePcrs Server Security/TPM Options

Not Specified (default)

The first time I check this setting in RBSU it was Sha256Sha384. So is this the default or did it change to that from Not Specified because of some reason?

Kashyap02
HPE Pro

Hello. 

@Prix

I have verified many servers in our lab. The TPM 2.0 Active PCRs are set to SHA256 and SHA384 on DL320 Gen11 servers. 
Looks like this is the default value which is set on these servers. 

We do see "Not Specified" option, but that is not selected as default. 

Refer to the below screenshots. 

I am a HPE Employee.

Accept or Kudo

pirx
Valued Contributor

@Kashyap02  yes, I expected that. But then documentation is wrong.

Kashyap02
HPE Pro

Looks like it. I will definitely provide a feedback to the concerned team.
Thank you for highlighting this.
I am a HPE Employee.

Accept or Kudo

NJK-Work1
Occasional Advisor

So what is the fix for this?  I just updated to 1.57 (released end of Feb 2024) on a test machine and I am still getting these errors.  Is the fix still in the works for a future iLO firmware update or should be changing the settings in the UEFI to prevent that - if so, then what settings?

Thanks

NJK

NJK-Work1
Occasional Advisor

I did notice that the AlertID changed from "Redfish.iLOEvents.6.5.PCRChanged" (6.5) to "Redfish.iLOEvents.6.6.PCRChanged" (6.6).  Not sure if that is circumvententing the previous fix...but figured I would mention it.

NJK