1758501 Members
2296 Online
108871 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Getting sick of this now...: Power Management Controller Firmware

TKop
HPE Pro

Re: Getting sick of this now...: Power Management Controller Firmware

@oaltuntas what Installation policy are you using on the profile?  The 8.70 OV fix when using baselines of 2023.09.00.* prior to the 2023.09.00.03 patch should address the issue with an Installation policy of "Update components lower than baseline."  Using the "Update or downgrade components not equal to baseline" policy with the older versions will still result in the inconsistent alert.  (this stipulation was not clarified in the thread yet.)  The 2023.09.00.03 version is expected to resolve the inconsistent alert for either Installation policy.

I work for HPE
drehstrom79
Advisor

That's not 100 % correct. As I said before, using the "Update or downgrade components not equal to baseline" results in a loop. All firmware is getting updated and downgraded over and over again, even iLO! One of our servers hung up in boot, fortunately at a site nearby because I hab to cut the power to get it working again. By the way, if this happens at a remote site can I send the the expense report to HPE? 

Maybe you should leave it be and work even harder on the next baseline, hopefully coming out in march. The more you tinker around with the 2023.09 the worse it gets...

drehstrom79
Advisor

Is there any update on the NS204i-r controller? It's still refusing to upgrade from OneView. 
Please HP get going!!!

drehstrom79
Advisor

Congratulations HP, you made it!

I've just rolled out the new SPP (2023.09.00.04) and my servers finally updated the boot controller using OneView.
Since the new SPP came with a new iLO (3.01), I assume that's wher the bug was.

Now please, please, please with sugar on top - keep this going with the next SPP.

T_1_6
Regular Advisor

How did you do this?
I got a "convenience" bundle with the patch applied, and oneview refused to recognise it!

I gave up at that point, as I wanted to keep my sanity for the rest of that day.

drehstrom79
Advisor

I used the official download package from here, pushed it to OneView and changed the profile template. After updating the server profiles I just had to reboot all servers checking the box that they should run the update. Then OneView did the rest.

Be patient! The update takes its time, especially if you update a large amount of servers at once...

DanCernese
HPE Pro

I don't work in this space but I wanted to share an experience from another customer.  After upgrading to OV 8.7 they had to remove and re-load the SPP 2023.09.00.03 and then remediation worked.

I am an HPE Employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
T_1_6
Regular Advisor

Nice thanks for that.
The remove and re-add worked! (so far)

T_1_6
Regular Advisor

ahh ffs!

It doesnt work with vLCM or anything inside VMware, you cannot attach it to a vLCM image for a cluster, so manual only from Oneview?

Sigh, I knew it was too good to be true.

drehstrom79
Advisor

I don't think so but I'm not sure since I don't use vLCM for this. Everything concernig the server hardware and firmware is administrated only via HP-tools (OneView/iLO). Since VMware is having enough issues itself, I try not to overstrain it with tasks it's not originally made for.