1625 Online
108872 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Historical data retention and replication variable block size

ehfortin
Occasional Visitor

Historical data retention and replication variable block size

Hi,

I'm working on a RFP for a customer that has a lot of requirements. We are proposing GreenLake for Block and there is 2 things I've not been able to find in the documentation. The first one which should be easy is to demonstrate that the console allow to return to at least 12 months in the past. In the interface, I can see there is a custom option to select a date but it doesn't tell how far in the past we can go. Any information on that subject?

Second requirement is about confirming that the replication is using variable block size in order to optimize bandwidth usage. As we already know, blocks, once compress, can be a lot smaller than the basic unit used by the GL4B. And to that point, on disk, it would stack together multiple smaller blocks to fill the place without letting empty space. So, I would expect those smaller block to be sent as they are which would mean with variable size. The other option would be if those smaller blocks are also stacked for the replication but either way, I'm not able to find the information to provide the answer to the customer.

Anyone has information that could help with those two items?

Thank you.

ehfortin

2 REPLIES 2
JJones91
HPE Pro

Re: Historical data retention and replication variable block size

Good Afternoon,

Is this related to Greenlake for Block Storage or Greenlake Backup and Recovery?

Thanks!

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
ehfortin
Occasional Visitor

Re: Historical data retention and replication variable block size

Hi @JJones91 ,

It is related to Greenlake for block. Looking for it in the forums returned me to this one but was not confident that it was the propre place to put it.

Thank you.

ehfortin