108871 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: NVDIMM warning (Nimble CS700)

SOLVED
Go to solution
hux
Occasional Advisor

NVDIMM warning (Nimble CS700)

Can anyone explain what this alert means and what needs to be done to resolve it?

WARNING: NVDIMM reserved flash blocks reached the lower threshold

The reserved flash blocks have reached the lower threshold (remaining = 3) on controller A

I haven't been able to find any info about it via google. I'm guessing it's implying that a flash card is running out of assignable blocks to use when one fails. I don't think it's referring to an SSD disk. But I'm not certain.

It advises to contact support, but unfortunately I have no support contract on this older SAN.

2 REPLIES 2
Thomas_Lam_HK
HPE Pro
Solution

NVDIMM backs up its memory to the integrated flash chip on power-loss. The reserve is used to replenish bad flash blocks and if the reserve capacity falls below 3%, we give this warning.

Please note that NVDIMM plays very import role to ensure data integrity after acknowledge the host write, as this model had reached EOS and no more parts can be exchanged, I will suggest you not using it for de-risking any potential data lost due to unpredicted hardware or power failure.

Thomas Lam - Global Storage Field CTO

I work for HPEAccept or Kudo
Mahesh202
HPE Pro

Hi Hux

When the NVDIMM  reserve left is below 5%, you will get to see this warning message. If it ever goes to 0%, NVDIMM is no longer capable of retaining its content across system reboots and resets. To resolve this we need to determine if it's due to a software bug or any hardware issue within the array.

A software update may rule out the issue if it's an OS bug. You may want to check the possibility of updating the code. 

Hope this helps.!!

Regards
Mahesh

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo