Array Performance and Data Protection
1758350 Members
2203 Online
108868 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: dHCI with Alletra 6000 : Is it possible to do a manual switchover from arrays A to B

Daniel16
Occasional Contributor

dHCI with Alletra 6000 : Is it possible to do a manual switchover from arrays A to B

Hello all, 

Great to be here,

We use HPE dHCI (2x Alletra 6000) since 1 year , an array on each of our 2 Datacenters

ESXi hosts are attached on them (iSCSI)

they are in the same group array of course. 

We have 3 volume collections, in synchronous replication  A <--> B, everything works fine !

So in few weeks we need to replace our core switches, firstly on datacenter A, then few weeks after on Datacenter B.

In our replacement plan, 2 steps will be very important, i mean when recalculation of priority between old & new Cores switches occurs (example spanning tree and so on) so to avoid maximum of problem, before intervention, we want to manually switchover array A on array B, is it possible ? or may i have to use "handover" function ? we don't want to shutdown "passiv" array A but just Array B takeover Array A.

Thank you for your help

Best regards

Daniel

5 REPLIES 5
Vipin_S
HPE Pro

Re: dHCI with Alletra 6000 : Is it possible to do a manual switchover from arrays A to B

Hello Daniel,
Yes, you got it right. Handover the best option here.
A handover with synchronously replicated volume collections is transparent to the hosts and does not involve any downtime or host reconfiguration. You can perform a handover operation with volume collections that use snapshot replication and synchronous replication. The amount of time it takes for a handover to complete can vary depending on the load and the data volume.
More details on the tasks involved:
https://infosight.hpe.com/InfoSight/media/cms/active/public/pubs__GUI_Administration_Guide_6_1_2_x.whz/index.html#oqp1551479191384.html

If you have a VMware Environment - Please validate the below link as well. https://infosight.hpe.com/InfoSight/media/cms/active/public/pubs_VMware_Integration_Guide_6_0_x.whz/index.html

Please involve Nimble Support team if you need more assistance on the tasks and dependencies involved. Email to support@nimblestorage.comтАУ will generate a support case тАУ please provide a serial number and a clear description of the issue

Vipin_S
I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @Daniel16,

Let us know if you were able to resolve the issue.

If you have no further query and you are satisfied with the answer then kindly mark the topic as Solved so that it is helpful for all community members.

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Daniel16
Occasional Contributor

Hello Vipin_S,

Thank you for your explanation,

last question: when we do a handover for a volume collection, for example from array "A" to "B", is the synchronous replication still continue from array "B" to "A" during this failover state,

Thank you

regards

Daniel

Vipin_S
HPE Pro

Hello  Daniel16, 

Once you perform a handover you will see a notification whether you want to start a reverse replication or not. It is a checkbox "Automatically reverse the direction of replication" and with the help of that option we can start reverse replication.

Please check this as well : https://infosight.hpe.com/InfoSight/media/cms/active/public/pubs__GUI_Administration_Guide_6_1_2_x.whz/index.html#jmr1584388322966.html

Vipin_S
I work for HPE.

Accept or Kudo

Daniel16
Occasional Contributor

Hello Vipin_S,

Many thanks for your reply.

Regards